Premed 101 Forums

Summer Electives

I was just wondering if any students had trouble getting placements into summer electives between year 1 and 2 because other schools didn't see them as clerks. I know that it is nearly impossible to do an elective at UBC between year 1 and 2, but are most schools like this? Is it possible to do some electives at other schools in Canada?

lots of students are at other schools right now - some of them were more difficult to arrange (usually done via preceptor instead of via the school. as more of an "observership" vs. formal elective)

but it sounded like most people ended up going where they wanted to. lots are overseas right now as well.

So I'm one of those students that have been here in BC for 4 weeks of my 6 weeks pre-clerkship electives (electives b/w 1st and 2nd year).

They are not impossible, just as long as you DO NOT go thru UBC. I had a family friend that is an OR nurse at one of the hospitals in the Lower Mainland and gave me direct contact to some doctors there. And then applied/received a BC med student license thru the BC College directly.

There are a few more people from our class that got electives in BC, specifically in the Vancouver hospitals. So, although not impossible it does take a little extra work, and knowing someone who works there is a great help.

Like krgregg said... there were a lot of people from our class going to places in Canada, the US and around the world. You get out of it, what you put into it!

Archived