Premed 101 Forums

US schools for Canadians

Hey guys, first time poster, long time lurker.. i am just in the process of sending my applications to american schools, however, im having some troubles deciding on which schools i should apply to. my gpa is ~3.5 and DAT scores are 26Chem, 26Carving, 21PAT, 18 BIO, 17RC. Here is my list of schools so far i would appreciate any suggestions and feedback:

1) NOVA southeastern university (NSU)

2) University of Louisville (UL)

3) Boston University (BU)

4) Tufts University (TUF)

5) University of Michigan (MICH)

6) University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)

7) New York University (NYU)

8) Case School of Dental

9) Temple University (TEMP)

10) Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU)

What is your DAT score for AA and TS?

I think there is more to your application than grades and DAT scores... you need to tell us a bit more...

Are you a 'traditional' applicant? or a mature student? Have you shadowed dentists? or had any experience with assisting, etc? research? anything that stands out?

im just about to graduate with a major in Biology [not a mature applicant]. my AA & TS are both 20. as far as all the extracurricular stuff, i have over 400 hrs of volunteer experience in different areas, i also did job shadowing with a dentist (50 hrs), and i also have a lot of work experience (not related to dentistry).

most deadlines are december to february.. HOWEVER!! american dental schools have rolling admissions meaning you have to send in your applications asap... im already considering myself late but hoping to have EVERYTHING sent in by monday next week

What is your DAT score for AA and TS?

I think there is more to your application than grades and DAT scores... you need to tell us a bit more...

Are you a 'traditional' applicant? or a mature student? Have you shadowed dentists? or had any experience with assisting, etc? research? anything that stands out?

How bad is it?

I thought if one submitted his application by the end of July everything will be good. Since, in Ontario, we have the DAT ready to be mailed.

I just started Indiana University (I'm from torontoish) and met 3 other canadians from toronto, sault ste. marie and edmonton. I had similar stats as you and got 2 interviews in canada and here. unfortunetly couldn't get into canada. My first semester tuition is due and after instruments etc its 32,200 US (which is gross!). but hey, gotta get that degree somehow!

Also, I applied late (compared to July) so i got kinda screwed out of other american schools. I was lucky to get this interview for their second interviews (i think first interviews are in septemberish) mine was in february.

hey i was wondering too... i was looking on their website and they say non resident tuition is like 55 grand... how is yours so low if your from toronto? :S

The amount referred to was only for first semester which is half of the total academic year tuition expenses for non-residents, US$65,328.84. The poster paid half for the first semester.

By the time I had my recommendations completed (that took the longest... FYI only use email, mail to/from the states can take up to a month!) I think it was about late September. That is only one semesters worth of tuition. I guess thats the one thing that REALLY sucks about going to the States, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

I just submitted my AADSAS application to a few of the same American schools you listed as well, it got mailed out on the 31st of July.

I also recommend getting the letter emailed. My first letter took 1.5 weeks via snail mail from toronto. Second letter I sent via express mail by canada post, took a week. Finally my last letter was via email, she completed it in 2 minutes =D.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Did you get more than that one interview from indiana? Do you have a predents.com profile?

i got an AADSAS email yesterday morning that they've confirmed my transcript/grades and will mail out my application to schools. but one of my referees hasn't e-submitted his reference for me yet... it's okay as long as he does it by the time i finish my supplementary apps right? the schools will still send me supplementary packages even if a reference letter is missing?

Yup Fraises

The AADSAS will mail out your application even if it doesn't have all the LOEs. The only thing is that the dental schools won't consider your application complete till they have all the required documentation (which includes the LOEs).

This is my first time applying, and maybe someone can answer this.

I submitted my AADSAS application with one last prerequisite listed as "planned/in progress" (the course is now done, I just don't know when I'll get the grade back). The academic update period isn't until mid-November and I'm just wondering if there's any problem. Is it still possible to get interviews without a completed file?

@Dr. Dyriw

Yea I was wondering your stats and the places you applied/interviewed at :)

@Intrepid

You will still be eligible for an interview as long as most of your preqs are completed and you have sent in the transcript for those courses along with the other requirements (LOEs, Personal Statement etc.)

Hope that helps

My stats were:

82% average from Bishop's University which converted to 3.52 GPA for AADSAS.

DAT

Chem: 19

Bio: 17

PAT: 20

RC: 20

Carv: 19 (though it don't matter for american schools)

This was my second DAT I wrote and second time applying to schools. First time around I received no interviews anywhere. Second time was a charm ;)

Hey Guys

I applied to the states for 2009 admissions. I submitted my application late July. By the time the schools got my information it was early September. They do have two rounds of interviews. I was offered three..but only attended two of them because I wasn't able to get a prereq. What I found was that the DAT is really important!! And also the extracurriculars, unlike in Canada where they just ask for your grades. Good luck to you guys applying this round!

Archived