Premed 101 Forums

Queens vs Western for Undergrad

I'm about to start applying to university and have concluded that I would like to attend Queens or Western for my undergraduate degree. I'm mostly interested in Biology and any relatable major like Biochemistry, Health Sciences, etc. I have a very strong desire to become a doctor and just can't see myself as anything else. All my friends and parents seem to think it's not worth it and try to convince me otherwise but I didn't budge even after thinking it over once more. I'm fully aware of all the difficulties ahead such as the long work hours in Residency and all the hoops that you have to go through and it makes no difference to me. I believe that if you are lucky enough to spend so much hours on something you really enjoy, then more power to you. However, I need to make a decision as I go to undergrad and hope you guys are able to help me answer some questions.

1) Which university has a more difficult program in the fields I listed? By difficulty I not only mean easier assignments/smaller workload and thus have a higher chance of getting a better GPA, but I also include the general attitude of the students (are they all gunners who see everyone else as the enemy and it becomes impossible to make friends), the supportiveness and teaching skills of the professors and the information (library) available at these universities that would help one do their very best.

2) Which of these 2 schools has a better community and city that has more opprotunities for EC's, research, clubs, etc.

3) How much extracurriculars do you need to have in order to be competitive. I know there are 48 slots. How many of those should be filled to stand a good chance? I'm worried because my EC's are likely going to be something I pursued over a long time and not have many little things to shove in there. Also, do you have to prove these extracurriculars? Let's say I enjoy skiing (which I do). Do I need some kind of evidence of that and how many hours I skiied?

4) Is it worth going through only 3 years if you have a good GPA/MCAT and then applying to medical school or is it better to try only after 4 years. If you apply during 3rd year and get rejected, are there any penalties against you? Is bias held against 3rd year student making it harder to get accepted?

5) Are you able to get an LOR for med school after your 1st year of university and "hold on" to it until it's time to apply or you are supposed to get all the LORs at the year you apply to medical school?

I have a very strong desire to become a doctor and just can't see myself as anything else.

Haha you can't see yourself being anything except what kind of doctor now?

Both Queen's and Western are good schools (probably made good by the fact that they are a good 2/2.5 hours away from Toronto/parents). Before the internet, people would actually visit the schools to get a feel for them. See how you like London, and Kingston, that will help you make a decision. Just because I loved Kingston doesn't mean you're going to like it, or that it presents more opportunities for you.

No. 3: ECs. Do whatever interests you but I would consider waiting until after at least the first semester of UG b/c there is a transition from high school that could be difficult, so for the first semester buckle down and adjust to the academics. Skiing is cool, can you join some kind of ski patrol, thereby doing volunteering while enjoying your EC? You will just estimate the hours when the time comes and don't worry about a verifier if there is not one. I love horse riding and jumping, in which I participate every weekend for many years. And I am involved in the competitive aspect as well. Do not worry about the 48 slots, it is quality not quantity. Just build up your ECs and volunteering over time and it is fine to pursue activities over a long period. Actually, it is better so as to show consistency, but hey, if you volunteer for a one day blood drive, this is great too. They are looking for well rounded students who are able to maintain a high GPA and yet be involved in the wider community w/i university and your community.

No. 4: It is definitely worth applying early and should you not get it, it is not held against you and you shall have learned a great deal re the application process for which you will be grateful the following year. Generally speaking, it is more difficult to get in when you apply early b/c others have a greater track record over time.

No. 5: When you are about to apply to med school, that is when you approach profs and ask for a "strong" LOR b/c receiving a LOR that is not going to be 'strong' is a waste in my opinion. You would like the prof to be able to know you so that the LOR can be meaningful. I am entering my last year of UG, I am a straight A student and none of the profs know me other than I am a good student. This is a problem for me now as I need to consider whom I shall approach and how. I will use one prof for a LOR only.

Enjoy UG. Be sure to develop time management skills so that you study efficiently and keep on top of your assignments and studies. Studying what you enjoy is always better. Also, have a Plan B, as getting into med school is very much a lottery where luck is a critical factor. And should you not get in, you want to follow a course of studies that will give you a head start in another endeavour where you will eventually earn a living doing something else you will hopefully enjoy. Good luck.:)

Haha you can't see yourself being anything except what kind of doctor now?

Well I have my hunches, but me being concrete in my choice for a medical speciality now is stupid. There are many specialities that appeal to me and are very different from one another. One needs to at least experience medical school in order to make a serious decision. However, I do know my reasons for wanting to become a physician.

Both Queen's and Western are good schools (probably made good by the fact that they are a good 2/2.5 hours away from Toronto/parents). Before the internet, people would actually visit the schools to get a feel for them. See how you like London, and Kingston, that will help you make a decision. Just because I loved Kingston doesn't mean you're going to like it, or that it presents more opportunities for you.

Yes, you are right and I'm most definately going to visit the schools myself. However, I would still like to have outside opinion on the matter for you certainly can't know everything (or even close to anything) from a tour. Yes, your reasons for liking Kingston may be something I am perhaps put off by (though that is unlikely), but if you list WHY you like Kingston instead of simply saying you like it I would be able to form a better conclusion.

No. 3: ECs. Do whatever interests you but I would consider waiting until after at least the first semester of UG b/c there is a transition from high school that could be difficult, so for the first semester buckle down and adjust to the academics. Skiing is cool, can you join some kind of ski patrol, thereby doing volunteering while enjoying your EC? You will just estimate the hours when the time comes and don't worry about a verifier if there is not one. I love horse riding and jumping, in which I participate every weekend for many years. And I am involved in the competitive aspect as well. Do not worry about the 48 slots, it is quality not quantity. Just build up your ECs and volunteering over time and it is fine to pursue activities over a long period. Actually, it is better so as to show consistency, but hey, if you volunteer for a one day blood drive, this is great too. They are looking for well rounded students who are able to maintain a high GPA and yet be involved in the wider community w/i university and your community.

No. 4: It is definitely worth applying early and should you not get it, it is not held against you and you shall have learned a great deal re the application process for which you will be grateful the following year. Generally speaking, it is more difficult to get in when you apply early b/c others have a greater track record over time.

No. 5: When you are about to apply to med school, that is when you approach profs and ask for a "strong" LOR b/c receiving a LOR that is not going to be 'strong' is a waste in my opinion. You would like the prof to be able to know you so that the LOR can be meaningful. I am entering my last year of UG, I am a straight A student and none of the profs know me other than I am a good student. This is a problem for me now as I need to consider whom I shall approach and how. I will use one prof for a LOR only.

Enjoy UG. Be sure to develop time management skills so that you study efficiently and keep on top of your assignments and studies. Studying what you enjoy is always better. Also, have a Plan B, as getting into med school is very much a lottery where luck is a critical factor. And should you not get in, you want to follow a course of studies that will give you a head start in another endeavour where you will eventually earn a living doing something else you will hopefully enjoy. Good luck.:)

Thank you. This helped alot :D

Archived