Premed 101 Forums

Who is sfinch?

Holy crap. In my current insomniac state, I just stumbled upon the sfinch drama.

Basically, sfinch has not been making any new friends with posts like:

GOT INTO QUEEN'S AND UWO - I really want UofT or UBC (waitlisted) though. I need a diverse city. To all the non-whites at Queen's...how do you survive there in Kingston? I remember being so depressed when I was there doing interview weekend...

Got into Queen's and UWO - but I'm from Van, and I love the diversity of Vancouver. Kind of hard thinking about spending 4 years in either London or Kingston (London is probably the lesser of two evils...has more minorities and is closer to Toronto than Kingston).

I'm amazed that people with 3.70 cum GPAs were interviewed. Considering that medicine is competitive and important - letting <3.90 cum GPA students into med school (with only undergrad) seems really really wrong. I think some undergrad GPA allowance (ie maybe as low as 3.85 or 3.80) if someone has a masters or PHD, is fine though.

For anyone serious about medical school - a GPA of 3.90 should not be that hard to get at all - and is indicative of a mature focused student. Certainly a GPA < 3.80 is unacceptable.

My 2 cents anyways.

The difference between a 3.7 and a 3.9, especially with grade inflation nowadays and the fact that there are some 3.7s here from crap schools like Trinity Western, Brock or Windsor, is massive. 3.9+ is obtained by maybe only 3-5% of the population...3.7+ easily 20-25%. For creating top level intelligent MDs, a person with a 3.9 GPA has a MUCH better chance than someone with a 3.7 GPA (especially with modern grade inflation,where 80s are handed out like lollypops at lesser undergrad schools). Lots of people are 'good enough' to be adequate doctors. What we want are the people most likely to be the best doctors. And, despite the crap feely touchy people tell you, being very smart is essential to being an incredible doctor. Having a good personality is important for almost ALL jobs - it in of itself does not trump intelligence or very hard work.

While I'm not sure what school you're going to Ryan, you are most definitely a jerk. I hope you don't get off the waitlist for UWO if I end up there. I'll probably be at UWO (prov accep)...but still holding out hope for out west or toronto.

I basically just quoted every single post - out of only 14 posts, almost all of them are like this!

Oh except this one:

I'm christian (and asian) and wear a cross often. I didn't during my interviews.

WTF???? This has to be a troll. Confirm/deny your existence, sfinch?

To all the "non-whites"??? I didn't realize we still lived in a society that promoted this type of bull**** (perhaps I'm naive, or maybe I'm just in denial).

Reverse-racism is still racism. What's the point of pushing plans such as affirmative action if everyone just keeps pointing fingers? This kind of statement makes me sad. It makes me sad to think that you are "depressed" because you may be 1/100. It doesn't really matter if you are 1/1000--in fact, if anything, it should just make you proud.

Reading those posts makes me sad and I hope it doesn't give people a bad impression of Vancouverites. I'm originally from Vancouver and now in London. London is a great city. It is a lot different than Vancouver (no mountains or ocean, weather varies a lot more) but it is still quite diverse.

If he doesn't want to spend 4 years in London or Kingston, he shouldn't and just re-apply to UBC. Simple as that.

Reading those posts makes me sad and I hope it doesn't give people a bad impression of Vancouverites. I'm originally from Vancouver and now in London. London is a great city. It is a lot different than Vancouver (no mountains or ocean, weather varies a lot more) but it is still quite diverse.

If he doesn't want to spend 4 years in London or Kingston, he shouldn't and just re-apply to UBC. Simple as that.

I think he actually got in.

Vancouver is BEAUTIFUL. I love the place.

If sfinch really is a troll, he has one of the more clever handles I've ever seen anyone use.

On April 1st, 1985 (April Fool's), Sports Illustrated ran an article about a fake baseball prospect that could throw the ball 168 MPH (65 MPH faster than anyone has ever thrown a major league baseball). Details of his life include the fact that he was an orphan, he was deciding between playing baseball and becoming a musician, and he had briefly attended Harvard University.

The article was so well-written that a lot of people didn't know it was a prank.

The name of this fictional baseball player was Sidd Finch.

Like I said in the Queen's forum, sfinch did not get into UWO. Queen's maybe, but not UWO. UWO requires a 4-year honours degree, and he only applied in his third year. For the record, not all Asians are like this(most are not), so don't assume the one Asian guy from Vancouver in your class is sfinch.

GPA 3.98 (1st two yrs...will be 4.0 this yr...so 3.99 on next yrs app)

13/14/14/R

UBC (from Vancouver)

Waitlisted. I'm devastated. :( Got into UWO and Queen's - but don't want to live in London or Kingston.

Does this waitlist move. I'm also on the IP waitlist at UBC.

Like I said in the Queen's forum, sfinch did not get into UWO. Queen's maybe, but not UWO. UWO requires a 4-year honours degree, and he only applied in his third year. For the record, not all Asians are like this(most are not), so don't assume the one Asian guy from Vancouver in your class is sfinch.

LOL...poor Asian guy if he is not sfinch. I don't think there are many people out there that would hold one idiot against an entire geographical/ethnical population.

A 4yrs honours: You are saying he cannot apply if he is in his last year?

He can't apply if he's only in his 3rd year. You have to be in your FINAL year of your degree program, or be done your degree program, in order to be considered by UWO.

A 4yrs honours: You are saying he cannot apply if he is in his last year?

He can't apply if he's only in his 3rd year. You have to be in your FINAL year of your degree program, or be done your degree program, in order to be considered by UWO.

Yes, but I understand "being in your final year" to mean that you could apply during the summer just before your final two terms (fall & winter). Have I been reading these posts wrong? I figured "applying in your 3rd year" meant you had just completed your third term.

Applying in 3rd year means you just started third year. Since the apps are due early October, you would've just started 3rd year, and only finished two years of university. :)

Yes, but I understand "being in your final year" to mean that you could apply during the summer just before your final two terms (fall & winter). Have I been reading these posts wrong? I figured "applying in your 3rd year" meant you had just completed your third term.

Applying in 3rd year means you just started third year. Since the apps are due early October, you would've just started 3rd year, and only finished two years of university. :)

All clear now...lol. I didn't know anyone could actually do that: are they hoping to defer?

Not necessarily. It could mean that he got a 4.0 in 4th year, which would only count for the next application cycle (after he's graduated).

If sfinch really is a troll, he has one of the more clever handles I've ever seen anyone use.

On April 1st, 1985 (April Fool's), Sports Illustrated ran an article about a fake baseball prospect that could throw the ball 168 MPH (65 MPH faster than anyone has ever thrown a major league baseball). Details of his life include the fact that he was an orphan, he was deciding between playing baseball and becoming a musician, and he had briefly attended Harvard University.

The article was so well-written that a lot of people didn't know it was a prank.

The name of this fictional baseball player was Sidd Finch.

I think he is a troll - Screen name of a hoax and he said he got into western after 3 years (which is impossible). Anyways, I wanted to convince him that London is awesome and that it has a multicultural scene as well :)

On the wall of the UWO Meds 2013 facebook group, a "Charles Ho" made a post referring to me as a certain "Ryan from the premed forums." He made reference to being from BC. The post was deleted a day later and I don't see a Charles Ho as part of the group. Still, if this is a hoax, it's pretty elaborate.

Ryan, Charles facebook messaged me after I questioned him being sfinch on the Meds 2013 facebook group, after that little query into who you are. He is definately not sfinch and was insulted that he had almost been tagged as sfinch. He is a different name on premed101, and I've read some of his posts, so the search for sfinch continues. But seriously, like rmorelan says, let's just forget this crap. I'm going to judge people at face value when I meet them - and if sfinch acts in the same manner as he writes with the facade of an online forum...I'm sure I'll be able to pick him out from the other normal, friendly and non-prejudiced asian vancouverites - who by now are probably sick and tired of this ****, not to mention slightly anxious that people are going to label them as sfinch come o-week. I completely disagree with sfinch's slander and ignorance but let's all just forget about it until we meet an elitist ****head at o-week.

Archived