Premed 101 Forums

Who is sfinch?

On the wall of the UWO Meds 2013 facebook group, a "Charles Ho" made a post referring to me as a certain "Ryan from the premed forums." He made reference to being from BC. The post was deleted a day later and I don't see a Charles Ho as part of the group. Still, if this is a hoax, it's pretty elaborate.

Hey Ryan,

On the facbook group, a person later asked Charles if he was sfinch. He responded that he was Aequanimitas and wrote some very compelling lines about putting this stuff behind us so that we can stay positive (also see Spectator's post).

All these wall posts were later deleted by an admin from the group--one assumes to maintain a positive atmosphere.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to meeting everybody. :)

Now, let's end the thread here.

ABLTMqziYpn09nrw6196xn5go1_500.jpg

From Ryan

On the wall of the UWO Meds 2013 facebook group, a "Charles Ho" made a post referring to me as a certain "Ryan from the premed forums."

Whoa Ryan, I didn't mean to miscommunicate there. There was a Ryan on the forum who was talking about changing things up at Windsor, and a Ryan on facebook who was talking about changing things up at Windsor, and I put two and two together and got excited to see who you are. You are "a certain Ryan" to me 'cause, like I mentioned to someone else (Master, I assume?), I think we needed more people like you. Hey, I've been following your FB conversations on a Windsor Tachycardia; I only got respect for you man.

So there you have it. I guess most of you now know that Aequanimitas = Charles Ho. I don't usually like to expose my online identity, but I don't think I've said anything that I wouldn't put my face behind. And more importantly, full disclosure is probably the best way to put this behind me.

To be honest, sfinch is screwing over more than just Ryan, Alastriss, and entire city of London with his insults, he's screwing over the entire class of 2013 if he makes us distrust each other before class even starts. To me, this conversation is more than just about who sfinch is and whether he exists in the first place, but also about the startlingly real effect he is having on our class. Can you believe that one man, whether he actually got into UWO or not, has got us throwing out accusations and defending ourselves? Sfinch's challenges can only be met with a stronger sense of solidarity, and while sfinch's trolling ability is the most incredible I've ever seen (whether he is intentionally trolling or not), I chose UWO because I felt a strong student community there. I know we can be better than sfinch.

So Ryan, Alastriss, Master, and all the Londoners who have been insulted by sfinch, I want to call out and say that you have every right to be angry. And I think I have every right to be angry for going through this as well. But you know what? I think our greatest triumph over sfinch would be to be friendly (if not friends) despite all this.

Peace out,

--Charles Ho--

• 2 weeks later...

I was here looking for general news after a summer vacation, and came back to this attack thread.

I'm sorry for the upset I've caused people here. My fears stem from my early years (for a few years in upper elementary school, i did not live in a big Canadian city, and was frequently teased and beaten up for being asian and my dad was once attacked and pretty beat up by a racist). I know most whites are decent people - but living in a place like Kingston and London, perhaps irrationally, brought back those fears. I'm sorry.

I am not Charles...so please leave him alone.

My "1st" two years are my best two years (3.98 each) and is what i mean. I have a third yr in the 3.9ish range as well...and got 4.0 this yr. Total 4 yrs...in case anyone was wondering.

Things may have happened with UofT or UBC. I'll leave it at that. After seeing the vitriol against me, I hope this will at least reduce suspicion to other asians and myself (wherever I end up) and allows us all a fresh start.

And please, don't attack innocent asians from BC because you may not like my opinions on a message board. It kind of reinforces my initial fears.

Hey guys, it is impossible for any of us to be in anybody else's head and to truly know their own experiences that help shape them into who they are. sfinch did step up to the plate and did apologize, I am sure not an easy thing to do. Also, with his consistently high grades, he has a perspective unique to his own experiences. I am an immigrant and as a child in elementary school, I was shunned and faced enormous discrimination by kids who, today, are my buddies. I did not face though being beaten and only those who have faced it, know the effect upon them and their thinking in relation to being outside of their comfort zone. So, lets try to give sfinch the benefit of the doubt, rise above ourselves, forgive and forget and as Obama recently said, lets make it a learning experience for all. Wherever you end up going sfinch, be well, do well and dont judge others who are different with the same brush as those horrid people who so acted. I do understand where you are coming from. Perhaps greater sensitivity and diplomacy on all sides is required. We all intend to be doctors, doctors should not be judgmental of others and want to heal and improve the lives of others. Lets all strive for this with each other. Peace.

wow who knew that boys were more drama-filled than girls? haha

no one cares what happens on premed101... its irrelevant... most ppl lie on here anyway...

haha honestly...I can't even believe an entire thread on this exists. I also can't believe that people are on the look-out for a poor Asian kid from Vancouver. It's already been said best by a few people on here, but lets forgive and forget, but lets not forget that sometimes people make mistakes for very understandable reasons (in this case, fear); that doesn't mean we need to go attacking them with a pitchfork. I think he/she has already received the message loud and clear (i'm pretty sure I was the first person to call him out on it actually). To sfinch, I accept your apology (for whatever it's worth) and look forward to meeting you (all!) and I hope that you have a good experience in London and don't feel ostracized by the community (and least of all by us your classmates)!

One love people :cool:

Bob-Marley.jpg

• 2 months later...

We need to bump this thread back up. Why? Because he's posting again and he's posting as much hogwash as before. A lot of people who weren't around before to witness sfinch's negative attitude and statements are going to be worried that he might be an expert on something. To them I say, check this thread out (especially the initial post).

• 10 months later...

Archived