Premed 101 Forums

Alberta residency status

Does anyone have experience applying as both an Alberta resident and Ontario resident? It seems as if I meet the residency conditions for both provinces. I lived in Ontario until I was 19, my family still remains in Ontario, and it is still my permanent residence. I have however been in Alberta long enough to satisfy Alberta's 1 year prior to admissions residency criteria. Alberta however is not my permanent residence (so I am still able to apply as an in province applicant in Ontario).

Or, has anyone experienced applying as an in province applicant in more than one province that might not be Alberta and Ontario but some other combination? If so, did you ever encounter any issues with this? It seems to me that this is entirely acceptable according to both residency requirements for Ontario and Alberta.

Thanks!

does not answer my question. it says that you can get IP status in Alberta if you move 1 year before the first day of admissions. However, it does not say whether or not these people were still able to also have IP in the province they moved from. Also, when I called a school in Ontario to ask this question, they said that I could NOT have two permanent residencies and I could not claim IP in two different provinces. But when I called the U of C they disagreed- this is why I am asking for confirmation from people who are in my situation who have done what I am planning on doing-preferably Ontario/Alberta applicants. and I have researched it already- still unsure.

I'm like you Neuro, I've lived in Alberta for the past 3 years but grew up in Ontario and my parents still live there. Last year I applied to UofCalgary and was considered to be a resident of Alberta, however my application wasn't strong enough and I got rejected pre-interview. This year I plan to apply widely including both schools in Alberta and most in Ontario. As far as I know only McMaster has some special consideration if you are an Ontario resident. And by their definition: "have resided for at least three years in Ontario since the age of 14 by the date of possible entry to the program", I'm still considered a resident there. So I don't think I should run into any problems and if I do they're clearly at fault.

Do you know of any other Ontario schools that favour Ontarians?

I am not sure if any other Ontario universities do favor Ontario residents. Ottawa University has a much lower GPA cutoff if you are from Ontario and even lower if you are from Ottawa. For ex. if you are from Ottawa, the cutoff is around 3.7, it is slightly higher for other areas in Ontario, and it is around 3.88 if you are from out of province. From my understanding, once you have met the cutoff, there is no preferential treatment based on province. I happen to have a 3.96 so I DON'T THINK it should matter for Ottawa University (which is my top choice in Ontario). If I am able to make it past the GPA cutoff without relying on in province status, then I might not need to worry about whether or not I am in province or not (unless they actually have some preference that is not quantifiable in their admissions selection criteria- for ex. if it were to come down to two candidates of equal qualification and 1 is from Ottawa or somewhere else in Ontario and the other is from out of province, would iin province status make a difference at this point?) I am not sure what the answer to this question is.

As far as I know, no other Ontario med schools have declared a preference for in province applicants in their admissions criteria. However, based on admissions statistics, it does seem like far more Ontario applicants are accepted to Ontario schools. Can anyone speak to this?

Archived