Premed 101 Forums

Hmmm it looks like if I am reading this correctly that our tutition payment is due on Aug 4, and while 17,927.18 is due for the entire year, the first payment is only 11,619.75 once the 1000 we already gave is factored into the situation.

Guess now would be a good time to get that LOC fully set up!

Anyone know why dentistry would be so much more expensive than medical school? What am I missing? :)

sorry if i'm missing something, but where are you finding this amount/due date? i've logged onto the student services site and all it shows is that I have a credit of $1000 in my account!

It isn't there yet, but the western website has had the tutition information elsewhere (with the usual CYA statement that it might change) I think for a while now. Provides a breakdown by degree program etc and includes tutition due dates as well.

Update with link:

http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/financialservices/Fall_Winter_2009_2010_FeeSchedule_UGRDcanFT.pdf

Some light reading that may answer your question:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11f0019m/11f0019m2005263-eng.pdf

:D

ahhh for the days when tutition was only $2500 :)

Very cool document! - The economist in me is very excited :)

So the document explains the effects of regulation on professional programs, but I didn't see anything specific about the dentistry vs med school difference - I do see that by the end of the study (2004) the dentistry tuition is must higher than med school and seems to be increasing at faster rate. Continued the trend would suggest dentistry would be more expensive, but why is its tuition increasing so much faster? If I am reading the website right they are now charging twice as much?

ahhh for the days when tutition was only $2500 :)

Very cool document! - The economist in me is very excited :)

So the document explains the effects of regulation on professional programs, but I didn't see anything specific about the dentistry vs med school difference - I do see that by the end of the study (2004) the dentistry tuition is must higher than med school and seems to be increasing at faster rate. Continued the trend would suggest dentistry would be more expensive, but why is its tuition increasing so much faster? If I am reading the website right they are now charging twice as much?

Economics to some, social policy to others....

Answers to your questions are hidden away in the depths of Parliament Hill and/or Queen’s Park.

An un-researched, simplified guess:

Deregulation of tuition fees = discrepancies in tuition fees charged for various programs = the differences in med school versus dentistry school tuition = because you can

And/or

Federal CHST (deficit + debt) to provinces (deficit + debt) to universities (deficit + debt) to charge somewhat-subsidized-yet-expensive-tuition to professional student (deficit + debt)

Perhaps there is a bit of funding favouritism towards medical programs? I mean, I haven't heard press releases about millions of dollars going towards new seats in dentistry programs (no dentist shortage that I've heard of...).

:cool:

it mentions something about if you make the payment in more than one installment there is some kind of a fee. Anyone know what this is all about?

"*Paying in more than one installment

is subject to a deferment charge.

Follow Important Fee Information link below."

Do we have to pay the 52 dollar fee for that or something?

If you are using a line of credit to pay that last $5000 and change, it makes almost no difference because the amount you would be charged in interest (at 2.25%) for four months would be pretty close to the $52 fee.

I am bored at work and figured this out.

You will have to pay the $52.00 fee if you pay in 2 installments. It is not a late fee per se, it is a 'deferment fee'. I am not sure if receiving OSAP or not changes this.

As an aside, yet another reason to double check anything posted on this forum and to do your own leg work.

My bad. Sorry please disregard my previous reply that there is no late fee. Med students do have to pay this.

so would it be better to pay it off at once?

if we're getting osap, how do we defer it until we receive our OSAP? or is that possible? i know it was done by some in undergrad (not me) but not sure about UWO's policies

Pretty even call right now with the interest rates so low as to pay it off now or later. The interest on the 5000 extra you need is about 50 bucks after 5 months so it really doesn't matter

when the rates go up (can't stay this low forever) then that might change :)

Archived