Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad Scholarships

hey all, i have been looking on this site among many others searching for possible undergrad scholarships over the last few months...i know it is probably too late in the summer and most deadlines have come and gone, but i have found it very difficult to find any scholarships that i think would actually be appropriate to apply to.

the thing is, i find a ton on studentawards and stuff like that, but majority want you to show financial need (and since i have parents who have good jobs this is hard to do) or they arent related to anything i do (example, scholarships for children of the CWA union...). Also, i dont know if anyone here from uwo has tried to look at their list of scholarships but its so confusing i usually give up because i cant understand how to apply, etc.

i guess my question then is what scholarships have you guys applied to/gotten/thought about/fantasized over/etc....?

disclaimer: sorry if this type of thread is a repeat but i havent seen another one yet... :cool:

the thing is, i find a ton on studentawards and stuff like that, but majority want you to show financial need (and since i have parents who have good jobs this is hard to do) or they arent related to anything i do (example, scholarships for children of the CWA union...).

I had this problem too - I just coasted through my undergrad based on summer employment and entrance scholarships though. :) Millennium scholarship helped me out a bit - but I'm pretty sure the deadline for this is over (I recall sometime in May, but that was like 5 years ago :P)

Good luck!

I don't know about Western but at some schools there are merit-based scholarships that aren't based on financial need. Stay at the top of your class and the money will find you!

And those ones are the more valuable one anyway in terms of reference as they are reflective of merit :)

In arts at waterloo they are automatic.

In science, too. So automatic, in fact, that I've gotten cheques and/or letters of congratulations for scholarships that I've never heard of and have no idea why I've gotten them.

:) its so funny - I always have to call them up ask what is this for. Sometimes they can't even figure it out!

hey all, i have been looking on this site among many others searching for possible undergrad scholarships over the last few months...i know it is probably too late in the summer and most deadlines have come and gone, but i have found it very difficult to find any scholarships that i think would actually be appropriate to apply to.

the thing is, i find a ton on studentawards and stuff like that, but majority want you to show financial need (and since i have parents who have good jobs this is hard to do) or they arent related to anything i do (example, scholarships for children of the CWA union...). Also, i dont know if anyone here from uwo has tried to look at their list of scholarships but its so confusing i usually give up because i cant understand how to apply, etc.

i guess my question then is what scholarships have you guys applied to/gotten/thought about/fantasized over/etc....?

disclaimer: sorry if this type of thread is a repeat but i havent seen another one yet... :cool:

Have you taken a trip to the student awards office? And/or checked out their website?

I applied to some undergrad awards at my school that required combination of GPA and ECs. Some of the awards also required an essay.

It was worth the time and effort. Also, I only applied to awards that I fit the criteria for.

Good luck!

you gotta search and search and search... in my 2nd n 3rd year when i was really keen i nailed about 15 scholarships totaling probably round 30 g

Have you taken a trip to the student awards office? And/or checked out their website?

I applied to some undergrad awards at my school that required combination of GPA and ECs. Some of the awards also required an essay.

It was worth the time and effort. Also, I only applied to awards that I fit the criteria for.

Good luck!

Archived