Premed 101 Forums

London Hangout/Restaurant Suggestions

Hey Everybody!

So, I'm moving to London very very soon and I'm excited to get to know the city.

Does anyone know of any cool restaurants to try?

Where do medstudents often like to hang out?

I'm getting really excited to meet people and try everything out!! :)

2x7VTq13Tqdrn6fvFg9RDICYo1_400.gif

I like the grad club for an afternoon beer. Molly's is fun on karaoke nights. Our class spent way too much time at the Frog in 1st/2nd year, then Tap House seemed to be the place to go. Dunno what the latest and greatest night spot is. Sammy's is the best for post-bar food (though Tannenbaums, Barakat and Prince Alberts are also popular with the 2AM crowd).

For more upscale, parents-are-paying dining, The Black Trumpet is good, as is Michaels on the Thames. There's a french restaurant sort of downtown/east that is quite good but I'm blanking on the name.

I really liked Jambalya (?sp) which was on Richmond Row but has apparently moved to near Whiteoaks. There are a couple of Thai places. I prefer Ben Thanh to the place on Richmond Row (?Bangkok Pad Thai) Wonder Sushi gives probably the largest volume of sushi for your buck, but make sure that you eat everyting that you order. There isn't really a good Mexican place that I know of (I've been to Under the Volcano, and it was ok but not great). For central/eastern European, I think your best bet would be the Marienbad (on Carling, I think).

The best Indian is "Indian Chef", on Richmond at uh...Horton? Kitty-corner from the Labatt brewery, anyhow. Sketchy neighbourhood, terrible location but good authentic food. Recommended. Massey's has a nicer atmosphere and higher prices, but the food isn't as good.

I'm also blocking on the name of the Italian place that serves massive panzarottis (?sp). Good once in a while, but likely a ticket to PCI if you have too many.

Hope that helps.

Wonder Sushi gives probably the largest volume of sushi for your buck, but make sure that you eat everyting that you order.

Is this an all you can eat place then? You are giving me a strange mental picture of a an "irrate" sushi chef expressing his/her displeasure :)

Haha, yes, Wonder Sushi is all you can eat. As is another really yummy sushi place on Richmond called Green Tea.

There's a rather small, but really authentic and tasty Mexican place a bit out of the way, off Richmond on Wellington, I believe. It's called Si Senor, and it's little and quaint and delicious. Other restaurants in the "parents are paying" category would be Garlic's and Waldo's on King. YUM.

And yes, I second the grad club on campus for an afternoon beer, or on Thursday nights when Rick McGhie plays. He's this old man on a guitar crooning Brown-Eyed Girl and American Pie .. it's amazing, and a riot with the regulars. :D

Grad club on tuesdays for trivia is a great time. Some of the questions are ridiculous and impossible but a great time none the less!

Parents are paying or date night: Fellini Koolini's just off richmond row has great pasta (the shrimp and chicken dill pasta is so good!)

Late night food/Quick lunch: Barakat on richmond...middle eastern food. AAAMAZING

Fav Bars: Black Shire (a pub), Barney's Patio on a hot summer afternoon! hahaha

My favourites (ranging in prices):

Viet Nam (on Dundas near the Kelloggs factory) - very affordable and tasty vietnamese food.

Ben Thahn is a second for vietnamese fare, but their service always leaves to be desired and seemed more greasy

On The Forks - lunch is more affordable, but always fabulous meals

The Only on King - a bit noisy, unfortunately, but lovely food with local ingredients

Barakat - great for shwarmas

The Tasting Room - nice but a bit expensive

Wondersushi - only good for the shear volume you can consume, which was useful as a student. ;) I preferred the quality at Green Tea, but I am not sure whether things have changed in the last few years.

Not impressed by:

Crave

Garlic's

Marienbad

Under the Volcano

Waldo's

Viet Nam restaurant on Dundas. Kinda far from UWO, but their Pho is good (not greasy) and they've the best spring roll. But don't expect too much of CS.

Barakat on Richmond. cheap+v.casual. Decent selection of vegeterian dish.

David's on Richmond near dundas.

I found Garlic on Richmond to be bit of a hit and miss, but better then some resto I tried in London that were just blah.

THe covent garden market at Dundas/Richmond is a fun place to go. Not huge in size, but many interesting stores. If you are like me and actually enjoy food browsing, I also recommend Angello's on Wonderland. Good cake/pastry/bread selection, and the salad/pasta bar was pretty nice.

Lots of students go to Marble slabs for mixed icecream on Richmond (and I believe there is another location near Masonville).

The Only on King is supposed to be very good (+locovore cuisine and all the hype) and I'm waiting for an excuse to try it out.

A little out of the way, but easy to get to if you have a car is a small vietnamese place called Thuan Kieu, 1472 Huron St., just east of highbury. Found it about a month ago and it's great. They've got a fair bit of variety including southeast asian food other than vietnamese, and it's pretty great value, fairly cheap dishes and you get quite a bit of food. Definitely satisfies my southeast asian food cravings that I've get ever since I travelled there.

Best restaurant in London hands-down is Fellini Koolini's. Some of the best Italian food I've ever had and I make it a point to go every time I'm back in London. Great prices and atmosphere too.

agreeed..

Had gozen for lunch on richmond, pretty good place, that being said....hunger is the best sauce.

Archived