Premed 101 Forums

Any Grad Applicants to the US?

i'm mostly concerned with the question of funding. do we have to get canadian funding (like from CIHR).. or would they give us a stipend? because tuition and living expenses are going to be expensive

i was looking at UT Southwestern which is an amazing place for graduate studies, and their students get the tuition fees completely scraped and they get like 26-30K per year.. which goes a long way down there... but seems like canadians are not eligible for this kind of pampering..

the PhD programs at UT southwestern take students directly from undergrad.. so if you have an M.Sc. i think you would be pretty competitive.

i wonder also if we have to write this grad school test thing.. forgot its name now

From what I've read, some American grad schools will waive tuition fees for grad students rather than providing stipends. However, I do know undergrad students from UofT (where I did my undergrad) who went on to do their Masters in the US fully funded on scholarships (tuition/living fees paid). Speaking from Canadian experience with grad school offers, I think one of the keys to securing decent funding is to bargain with the schools. I was shocked that you could actually do it, but I have one school willing to double my Masters stipend to match an offer from another university.

Archived