Premed 101 Forums

HELP!! Undergrad in Music to Med School?

Hello all!

I'm wondering if you've known anyone who finished an undergraduate degree in music or any other fields that are not quite related to medicine and proceeded to med school.

A quick intro about myself:

I will be a gr.12 high school student in September. I've been playing the piano ever since I was three, but always thought music was going to be have to be kept "aside" so that I could be a doctor and make big bucks. :eek: I get good grades at school (average has never been below 96% all throughout high school and I am in the International Baccalaureate program). I'm also very active musically; I've been in and won many competitions, performances, etc. Recently, I've realized I want to "follow my heart" (as cheesy as it sounds) and pursue music as a career. However, my Asian parents are furious with the decision and terrified I'll end up as a starving musician one day. After fighting very tiring battles night after night with my parents, trying to convince them to let me live my life, they've agreed I could do my undergrad in music as long as I took the prereq science courses in university, prepare for MCAT, and "very seriously consider" applying to med school.

Don't get me wrong; it's not that I want to be a doctor just for the money, althought that might be a little more than a fair chunk of the reason, oops. I actually like science, but I love music infinitely more. I'm not ready to give it up yet. I feel like if I apply to Life Sciences like my parents have been expecting me to for all my life, then being the (rather very imperfect) perfectionist that I am, I'm going to spend four years of my life studying my butt off and doing only that... And I won't have time to practice piano for 8hrs/day like I've been doing this summer.

Okay, so that wasn't short at all, but how hard do you think going into med school after a music undergrad degree would be to achieve? Thanks for reading and I would VERY VERY much appreciate any input/advice/thoughts/suggestions/tips, anything!

Many thanks,

Michelle

It shouldn't be any harder than getting in with a degree in bio, assuming the rest of your application is the same. Make sure to volunteer and have lots of ECs and clinical experience (and maybe some research) and you'll be fine. I was a psych major with only the prereqs as science courses, and I don't feel like I was disadvantaged at all. Do what you love, and decide later what to do with your future. Just keep the options open.

Also, I can't imagine playing piano for 8 hours a day. Don't your hands get tired?

It shouldn't be any harder than getting in with a degree in bio, assuming the rest of your application is the same. Make sure to volunteer and have lots of ECs and clinical experience (and maybe some research) and you'll be fine. I was a psych major with only the prereqs as science courses, and I don't feel like I was disadvantaged at all. Do what you love, and decide later what to do with your future. Just keep the options open.

Also, I can't imagine playing piano for 8 hours a day. Don't your hands get tired?

She'd be a great surgeon--I can only imagine the strength and dexterity of her hands.

maybe try to explain to your parents that you'll get better grades in music, because it's your passion... and better grades equal an increased likelihood of acceptance. if you want, look at/show them McMaster's profile of incoming students. there's usually a music major on there, as well as a philosophy major (me!), and a few other ones.

Listen to ontariostudent, and follow through on the agreement with your parents. I love music, I play piano, continue with my weekly lessons that have been going on for almost my entire life. I play piano every evening to relax before heading for bed. I am involved in the creative arts, ballet for more than 10 years. I perform for fun, competitively and also for the elderly at community centres, I hope to continue for another 20 years plus.

Moreover, there is no reason why you cannot have a career in both, one will finance the other. Good luck.

Doesn't matter...I am going to med this fall after an undergrad in Japanese. A friend of mine from undergrad majored in music. She ended up going to grad school to become a conductor, then dropped out, and enrolled into a midwifery program. We are not terribly close anymore, but from the regular updates on her Facebook status (oftentimes more graphic than this childbirth-phobe would prefer), she seems very happy with her new career.

Wow, thanks everyone for the comments. Are some med schools more open to non-sciencey major than others? Also, I read somewhere on the forum that Canadian schools aren't necessarily the most welcoming when it comes to accepting non trads- is this credible?

Wow, thanks everyone for the comments. Are some med schools more open to non-sciencey major than others? Also, I read somewhere on the forum that Canadian schools aren't necessarily the most welcoming when it comes to accepting non trads- is this credible?

I don't know if there really is a preference (at least officially they state that there isn't one). However, at the end of the day you have to convince the adcom why you chose medicine. Are you as passionate about medicine as you are about music or are you picking one over the other because one pays better (that's a rhetorical question btw)?

If you can convince them that you do care about medicine than I think you'll be fine. You're interest outside of the sciences is probably an asset. I mean you're going to med school to learn about the science (as well as other things) about med, so your overall education can be that much more broad if you're a non-trad.

I wouldn't worry about it and it should not be a concern. Focus on and thoroughly enjoy your music studies.:P Life is about enjoying the journey.

Over time check out the prerequisites, if any of the med schools, or those of potential interest. U/Alberta, for example, requires statistics and organic chem. Others require you simply to have taken a full course load every academic year. Look at the OMSAS Booklet and the various websites of the med schools and you will see the stats of students accepted, e.g., some may have come from law or music:) . And during UG, you will have the opportunity to apply for the National Youth Orchestra amongst others. Parents don't always understand that we have to follow our heart, especially if we have the talent to go along with our passion. Loving parents live in their own bodies and one day will no olonger be there while we still must continue to live our lives as productive and happy adults. The dialogue with your parents is not over, it is just beginning and although they want the best for you, they are listening and they certainyl don't want to strangle you in your life, they just want you to be financially suistainable in life. I think Leanoard Cohen's (who is now 74) parents wanted him to go into medicine or law, and they would be very proud of him. Compromise is in the air in your family. Enjoy.:P

Canadian schools are open to anyone who both passionate about medicine and is academically strong at whatever they pursue. The undergraduate program has no bearing on your ability to gain acceptance. Of course, there are advantages/disadvantages of being in a science program vs a music program. The only thing you have to do to succeed is to achieve a strong GPA, an okay MCAT (meet the cuts), and convince adcom that medicine is what you are passionate about (and support that claim with extracurriculars the reflect some level of interest in medicine).

But you are still way too young to have your mind locked on medicine. I see this time and again - high school graduates so sure that they want medicine... and so many ultimately fail because, either they put too much pressure on themselves or, they are not particularly interested in the type of material that medicine has to offer. You have at least 1.5 years before you lock yourself into a career. Try taking a variety of electives and keep an open mind.

Too many students come through these forums trying to forcefeed medicine down their own throats, just to puke it back up, and then proceed to jam that puke down their throats once again. All because they think medicine is the only career for them. If it is that much of a struggle, I would seriously recommend re-evaluating my career orientation and asking: why is medicine so important that I would put myself through agonizing hardships to get in? If its money or prestige, I assure you that you will not last through MD and residency, let alone an entire 35-40 year career.

Explore a little. Of course, be mindful of your GPA. But don't put yourself through 4 years of undergraduate stress because your mind is set on medicine. If it is so hard that you have to comprimise many other important aspects of your life (social, family,etc), it isn't worth it.

Apologies for the rant. And the latter parts of this post are not directed to the original poster or anyone in particular. Just some food for thought.

Hey OMGustavo!

I'm did my undergrad in music (violin performance) and was accepted this year by Dalhousie. It was my first time applying and I think that music actually gave me an advantage on my application. I was sure to have the pre reqs completed, along with some extra courses to show my interest in science (physiology, anatomy etc) and I kept up with lots of extra curricular activities and volunteering. The wonderful thing about a music degree is that is usually gives you lots of opportunity for extra currics that you'll really enjoy. I was involved in our provincial symphony for the five years of my undergrad and loved every minute of it.

It can be hard to juggle a music degree along with science courses, mainly due to the fact that you have to practice so much on top of studying. It seems like you really love music though so I'd definitely go for it. You're more likely to do well and enjoy your undergraduate degree. Four years in music will teach you many key skills that will help your application - time management (huge when you're trying to practice 4-8 hours a day), dedication, patience, precision, focus and self directed learning.

Feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to chat!

You will do well as long as you have the GPA/MCAT/pre-reqs and relevant ECs to show an interest in medicine to match.

I've had three "non-science" careers to date and I got an interview this past cycle. As noted, be able to relate your experiences to "why you will be a great physician" and away you go!

Good luck,

Haly

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all!

I'm wondering if you've known anyone who finished an undergraduate degree in music or any other fields that are not quite related to medicine and proceeded to med school.

I worked with a girl who was in her first year of residency in internal medicine this past year who graduated from MacMaster medical school and her undergrad was in piano performance. She is a very smart girl and although found it tough in an accelerated med school, was able to successfully achieve an internal meds residency and she's doing well in it. I don't see too much trouble getting into med school if you have the ugrad + MCAT grades and can interview well. The trouble I see is that once you're in med school you're going to have to work your tail off to keep up with all the science kids.

Archived