Premed 101 Forums

Deceased referee?

okay, so I'm trying to figure out how to reference my piano education (finished grade 10 RCM in grade 10)... but the only "proper" referee I could use, my piano teacher, passed away 6 months after the exam. I also understand that you must have a referee for everything on your list, and cannot be substituted by documents...

what should I do for situations like this?? would it be okay to use parents as referees?:confused:

on a separate note... would it be preposterous/unacceptable to use youtube guitar videos as referee for guitar playing? XD

edit: yes, i did mean verifier! thank you for the correction :)

okay, so I'm trying to figure out how to reference my piano education (finished grade 10 RCM in grade 10)... but the only "proper" referee I could use, my piano teacher, passed away 6 months after the exam. I also understand that you must have a referee for everything on your list, and cannot be substituted by documents...

what should I do for situations like this?? would it be okay to use parents as referees?:confused:

on a separate note... would it be preposterous/unacceptable to use youtube guitar videos as referee for guitar playing? XD

I assume you mean "verifier" yes? "Referee" is the person giving you the reference, who signs the Confidential Assessment Form and Lor, yes?

Well, assuming you really mean "verifier", firstly you have the "exam" you passed. Did you pass this exam at a Musical Conservatory? If so, you are able to prove or verify the level you have reached from an educational institution? As regards a 'verifier' for your continuous piano education over a period of time, did your piano teacher have a significant other/spouse b/c although this person did not teach you, he/she can vouch for your education nevertheless. In the alternative, did you exhibit your piano skills publicly, e.g., at school or other venues, if so any number of people could attest to your skills if not to the path you took to reach your level.

With respect to your guitar skills, there must be objective observers/spectators who have enjoyed your playing. I assume you wish/need someone to verify your ability/talent at a certain level and there must be many objective people. I would refrain from using parents unless it is a last resort, but if all else fails, well better than nobody I guess.

I used a trusted professor for as a verifier for anything that was difficult to get a real verifier for. I figured that if they REALLY wanted to know, they could call him and he could vouch for me. As long as you fill out your application and your verifiers in good faith it won't be a problem.

I had a similar problem--my verifier for some work I completed at SMU retired and moved away. I contacted the department within the university and asked if someone there could look up the records and act as a verifier for me (they only need to verify that you actually did what you say you did). The department was happy to give me the name and address of their chief who agreed to do so.

Just contact the school's secretary--she may know someone who would do the same for you.

Thank you for the reply!

Yes, i did pass the grade 10 exam from the royal conservatory of at music- rcm. I don't think anybody from RCM can help me though...

Okay, you are now good to go in any event. If the exam was under RCM supervision (as opposed to having passed an exam at their standards), there would be a record in their files somewhere, and therefore, their records dept. should be able to verify this.

I had a similar situation to yours and just put the RCM phone number and address in my autobiographical sketch. Haven't had any issues either way. To reference that I was actually a piano student for god knows how many years, I had a friend who had the same teacher and who I competed with at Kiwanis substantiate my involvement.

Re: guitar playing...I think I'd avoid the youtube verification! lol One slip of a key and you might be linking them to something completely different!;)

how would you have someone verify that you play guitar but haven't had any formal lessons?

Hobbies are the trickiest to list on autobio sketches.

I go to the gym to workout--cardio and weights. I put it in my sketch because it is part of who I am, and important at that for someone who intends to be a model for their future patients. I've never had any formal training in the gym, just do my own thing...it follows that you get someone you trust who knows you do such and such to verify it. I think the guitar teacher is a great choice in the poster's case. :)

Archived