Premed 101 Forums

Advice For Students Entering &/or Completing First Year Undergrad

Guys,

Many high school students are seeking advice for the transition to UG in regards to study methods, courses, ECs, social life, best path to follow, etc. and others are in 1st year UG encountering problems. It seems to me there should be one "sticky" to which they may refer at least initially. So pour your hearts out and give them the benefit of your experience with tips to help others, lets pay it forwards. Who knows, these newbies may be our classmates in med school after our first numerous unsuccessful attempts.:P

I will start with my first bit of advice. Take our advice with a grain of salt b/c some of us may try to lead you astray, others in good faith don't know what they are talking about and remember, we are your competition, so perhaps many of us don't want you competing with us.:)

Good idea! The transition from high school to undergrad is big and I didn't realize how big until half way through first year when my grades came back and they had plummeted from high school.

I think its really important to find your personal balance between school work and extracurricular activities/social life. I think thats what first year is for as your average doesn't matter too too much (just don't bomb it completely). Everyone is different so this balance will be different from person to person.

Get involved with societies, clubs, and intramurals. Meet like-minded people in your classes and forge a study group with them. Try and get to know your profs and TAs and by that I mean go to their office hours with GOOD questions. Not ones like "will this be on the exam" or "what is going to be on the exam". I'm a TA and I HATE questions like this. But, if you come to me with a well structured question and a genuine curiosity...i am generally more responsive :P

but I think the best advice is to HAVE FUN! Undergrad years should be some of the best years of your life! You're learning interesting things, meeting interesting people....don't freak out over one bad test and just enjoy your time!!

it is about playing the game...if you aren't meeting the GPA cutoffs in your school/program/department, then you need to revamp the game plan. Sooner is better!

HOWEVER..please people, 3.7s and 3.5s are NOT the end of the world and you can still get into med school with such marks. You just need to be a little better in other areas and be prepared that you'll have shut doors to some (but not all) schools.

it is about playing the game...if you aren't meeting the GPA cutoffs in your school/program/department, then you need to revamp the game plan. Sooner is better!

HOWEVER..please people, 3.7s and 3.5s are NOT the end of the world and you can still get into med school with such marks. You just need to be a little better in other areas and be prepared that you'll have shut doors to some (but not all) schools.

were talking about people who will be applying four years from now.

Even today a cGPA of 3.7 closes most doors pretty quickly, and a 3.5 all doors, imagine what it going to be like for the class of 2018....

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, i'm just saying my advice is don't aim for a 3.7 (a lot of people do). Aim for the 4.0 then settle for the 3.9.

I think the bar right now is at ~3.80-3.85 cGPA. And being in that GPA range doesn't mean you're solid, it just means you're not behind. In 4 years it will probably be 3.9. But I think by that point the MCAT will play a much bigger role in med admissions.

And I never went to those premed seminars. What I did do in my freshman year was to look at what the 3rd and 4th year premeders were pulling in school. Being UofT and all, they were pulling some pretty stout marks. This one guy actually got 100% in a 2nd year cell bio course. The prof was so impressed that she wrote him a reference letter, lol. I was like :eek: and hit the books.

were talking about people who will be applying four years from now.

Even today a cGPA of 3.7 closes most doors pretty quickly, and a 3.5 all doors, imagine what it going to be like for the class of 2018....

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, i'm just saying my advice is don't aim for a 3.7 (a lot of people do). Aim for the 4.0 then settle for the 3.9.

better yet...go to the 'easy' school, take the 'easy' degree and pad it with high gpa guaranteed classes, and cruise while building up your EC portfolio.

I've "lived" through the GPA inflation years. I graduated almost a decade ago, I can't believe how many 4.0s and near 4.0s are floating around here today. I wonder if there will be a reactionary movement at universities to lower grades a bit. I personally know a lot of GPA 3.9-4.0 people who are not as intelligent as their GPAs claim.

I haven't gotten in YET, but I got waitlisted at three schools. My undergrad GPA is <3.5, my MCAT <30, but I still feel an acceptance is within my grasp.

I post this because it is necessary to give people hope if they do not fit the cookie-cutter GPA/MCAT pattern.

however kids, I reiterate: Easy program, easy school, easy courses, balanced with interesting and long term ECs. You can PM me if you want to know what NOT to do ;)

Best of luck!:D

Archived