Premed 101 Forums

*** Official 2009-10 Interview Invite Thread for US Schools ***

c17h

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baylor: Rach (c: 8/04, ii: 9/10)

Boston U: c17h (c: 7/16, ii: 9/3, i: 10/26); rmitch8 (c: 7/27, ii: 9/15)

Case Western: MSB (c: 7/21, ii: 7/27); rmitch8 (c: 7/23, ii: 8/10, i:10/5); deeman101 (c: 7/30, ii: 8/20)

CMS (Rosalind Franklin): Illuminis (c: 8/10, ii: 9/22, i: 11/3), trickybox (c: 8/28, ii: 9/23), c17h (c: 9/9, ii: 10/7), FOREGONECONCLUSION (c: 9/3, ii: 10/8 i: 11/9)

EVMS: wrighm6 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/31, i: 10/2)

FIU: musicaldna (c:8/18, ii:9/17, i: 10/26); trickybox (c:9/15, ii:9/17, i:10/26)

Georgetown: c17h (c: 7/21, ii: 8/3); wrighm6 (c: 7/15, ii: 8/3, i: 9/1); trickybox (c: 7/30, ii: 8/28, i: 9/28)

GWU: trickybox (c: 7/26; ii:7/29)

Indiana University: Rach (c:8/3; ii: 8:26)

Jefferson: c17h (c: 7/4, ii: 7/31, i: 9/30); Rach (c:8/4, ii: 8/13); rmitch8 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/13, i: 10/21)

U Minnesota: emcd (c: 4/9, ii: 1/10, i: 5/11), Rach (c:9/10, ii: 10/8)

Mount Sinai: rmitch8 (c: 8/10, ii: 9/9, i:10/12)

NYMC: wrighm6 (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/8), c17h (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/22), rmitch8 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/17), emcd (c: 20/8 ii: 7/10, i: 15/12)

NYU: rmitch8 (c:7/29, ii: 10/2)

Ohio State: ChicoMaki (c: 8/25, ii: 9/4, i: 11/9 [will probably request earlier])

St. Louis: trickybox (c: 8/3, ii: 9/9), Rach (c:mid aug, ii: 9/22), GITANJALI (c: 9/20 i: 10/9)

SUNY Upstate: rmitch8 (c: 7/31, ii: 9/4), Rach (c: 8/11, ii: 9/15), JC5 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/15)

U Kentucky: Rach (c: 9/6, ii: 9/24)

Vanderbilt: rmitch8 (c: 7/14, ii: 8/6, i: 9/11); deeman101 (c: 7/3, ii: 8/18); emcd (c: 7/30, ii: 9/2, i: 11/12); JC5 (c:7/30, ii:9/2); maelstrom (c:8/4, ii: 9/2), mystery_chick (c: 8/25, II 9/14)

Virginia Commonwealth: rmitch8 (c: 8/19, ii: 8/27, i: 12/3)

Wash U: emcd (c: 8/8, ii: 8/10, i: 17/11)

Wayne State: c17h (c: 8/3, ii: ??, i: 9/21); VTeight7 (c: 8/4, ii: 9/17, i: 10/9); wrighm6 (c: 7/22, ii: 9/17, i: 10/20)

In St Louis right now. Bored and exhausted after my trip from Baylor. Have to say that Baylor is the most bad-ass school! It's pretty amazing how huge the Texas Medical Center is. It looks like the downtown area of most medium-sized cities except that all the sky-scrapers are hospitals!

Walked by WashU a few minutes ago, weird mix of nice street blocks and shady ones.

ETA: Congrats Gitanjali! When are you coming to St Louis?

ETA2.0: emcd, I haven't confirmed my Minnesota interview date but I've asked for a date out of the 29, 30th of october, or the 5th of Nov. Maybe I'll see you there. :)

Hey Rach!

Thanks! Im scheduled for 3rd Nov - there were a couple of dates for oct too but I need to get all my secondaries done first...:eek:

Have u interviewed at St .Louis already?

My interview is on monday. Will just relax today and see if I feel up to reviewing my application tomorrow. The Baylor interview day wore me out so I'm not feeling too motivated right now! :rolleyes:

err... could you link us? ;)

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=2

I haven't had the time to really "practice" using these questions but luckily none of them came up in my first 2 interviews. :rolleyes:

Did anyone get a hold from Connecticut? They put me on hold before I had even sent in my secondary and I haven't heard anything since (not even a "complete" email). Is that normal?

http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=2

I haven't had the time to really "practice" using these questions but luckily none of them came up in my first 2 interviews. :rolleyes:

Did anyone get a hold from Connecticut? They put me on hold before I had even sent in my secondary and I haven't heard anything since (not even a "complete" email). Is that normal?

They sent me a complete + hold email right after receiving my secondary. It's weird that you were put on hold even before receiving the secondary. Are all your LORs in? Maybe it's because something is missing to mark you complete?

They sent me a complete + hold email right after receiving my secondary. It's weird that you were put on hold even before receiving the secondary. Are all your LORs in? Maybe it's because something is missing to mark you complete?

Well the LORs should be there, but there's no status page so it's hard to know if they downloaded them. I just remembered that I actually didn't send in my secondary within the 1 month limit (my hotmail wasn't working for a few weeks) so perhaps they are punishing me for being a slacker. haha

Well the LORs should be there, but there's no status page so it's hard to know if they downloaded them. I just remembered that I actually didn't send in my secondary within the 1 month limit (my hotmail wasn't working for a few weeks) so perhaps they are punishing me for being a slacker. haha

I actually sent in mine like a couple of days late as well...

I actually sent in mine like a couple of days later as well...

Oh. Mine was about a week late. I guess I'll just have to be patient for a while. I hate bugging schools with application status questions!

ETA: someone, come to the chatroom! I'm sitting in my hotel lobby waiting for them to get a room ready and I have nothing to do. :P

OK fine, I'll do like c17h and tell you my funny story of the week. So friday was my Baylor interview. The day was to start at noon, so I show up for my hotel shuttle to the med center at 10:45 and it's supposed to leave at 11am. More than enough time to get to the TMC (10 minutes away). 11:20 and I'm getting nervous about time but the shuttle finally arrives. We have to drop off 2 people and pick up one before my stop. :mad: By the time it's my turn, it's 11:45. Oh and my driver only now decides to tell me he doesn't know exactly where the building is. :mad: I'm running in and out of the shuttle at random medical centers asking if anyone knows where this particular baylor building is. Finally find it at 12:20. I'm peeing my pants at this point. Run into the building and head to the room number. Swing open the door and realize that I just walked into the front of an auditorium style room, and the Dean and various doctors are standing right there giving a welcome speech to 50 or so applicants. lol! Amazing first impression I'm sure.

Learned my lesson. 1 hour and 15 minutes is simply not good planning for a 10 minute trip. :mad: :mad:

Oh. Mine was about a week late. I guess I'll just have to be patient for a while. I hate bugging schools with application status questions!

ETA: someone, come to the chatroom! I'm sitting in my hotel lobby waiting for them to get a room ready and I have nothing to do. :P

OK fine, I'll do like c17h and tell you my funny story of the week. So friday was my Baylor interview. The day was to start at noon, so I show up for my hotel shuttle to the med center at 10:45 and it's supposed to leave at 11am. More than enough time to get to the TMC (10 minutes away). 11:20 and I'm getting nervous about time but the shuttle finally arrives. We have to drop off 2 people and pick up one before my stop. :mad: By the time it's my turn, it's 11:45. Oh and my driver only now decides to tell me he doesn't know exactly where the building is. :mad: I'm running in and out of the shuttle at random medical centers asking if anyone knows where this particular baylor building is. Finally find it at 12:20. I'm peeing my pants at this point. Run into the building and head to the room number. Swing open the door and realize that I just walked into the front of an auditorium style room, and the Dean and various doctors are standing right there giving a welcome speech to 50 or so applicants. lol! Amazing first impression I'm sure.

Learned my lesson. 1 hour and 15 minutes is simply not good planning for a 10 minute trip. :mad: :mad:

wow, that sounds like some trip Rach! I would've never had the patience to wait that long for a shuttle haha I would just say eff! and walked it haha

wow, that sounds like some trip Rach! I would've never had the patience to wait that long for a shuttle haha I would just say eff! and walked it haha

well the drive should have been ten minutes. So more like 45 minutes of walking... and it was raining really hard so I figured that aimlessly walking around would have been a bad idea.

Congrats foregoneconclusion and ecmd!!

Good luck! How are you getting there? Are you flying into O'Hare, then driving over...? I'm interviewing on November 9, so about three weeks after you.

I'll be flying in to O'Hare, I heard that it's cheaper to rent a car, but because of traffic and my horrible sense of direction I'll probably just taxi to the hotel.

Btw guys, for those of you staying with student hosts, did you bring a gift? I was just planning on treating mine to dinner.

And Rach, I'll be flying into St. Louis tmw afternoon, too bad you'll be gone by then :(

And finally, congrats on all the latest interviews!

Rach, sorry to hear about that interview experience :( To be honest, I don't think it'll affect your performance that much, because these sorts of things are bound to happen...I think the admissions committee is used to seeing it! As long as you aced the interview, I'm sure you'll have a great shot at getting in!

If it makes you feel better... when I was interviewing at Jefferson, we were interviewing in a boardroom with 30 students sitting around a large meeting table. One student came 30 minutes late, in the middle of the speech by the dean of admissions, and literally stumbled into the room (I think he tripped on the carpet or something)... I think he was really embarrassed :P

I'll be flying in to O'Hare, I heard that it's cheaper to rent a car, but because of traffic and my horrible sense of direction I'll probably just taxi to the hotel.

Btw guys, for those of you staying with student hosts, did you bring a gift? I was just planning on treating mine to dinner.

And Rach, I'll be flying into St. Louis tmw afternoon, too bad you'll be gone by then :(

And finally, congrats on all the latest interviews!

When I stayed with a student host on a Tuesday night, he was busy studying for a test for Friday that week... I bought him a thank you card and a gift certificate to Starbucks. It's hard to know what their schedules are going to be like, so you may want to prepare something ahead of time...he/she may not have the time to go out to dinner.

I'll be leaving around 4pm... will probably just miss you! Good luck on your interview. Mine is with the Assistant dean of admissions so that's a little scary. :P Oh and I hope for your sake that you're not staying at the SLU hotel (Water Tower Inn), it's terrible!

Oh and I usually wait to get to town, then buy a gift card to a coffee shop in the neighborhood.

Rach, sorry to hear about that interview experience To be honest, I don't think it'll affect your performance that much, because these sorts of things are bound to happen...I think the admissions committee is used to seeing it! As long as you aced the interview, I'm sure you'll have a great shot at getting in!

If it makes you feel better... when I was interviewing at Jefferson, we were interviewing in a boardroom with 30 students sitting around a large meeting table. One student came 30 minutes late, in the middle of the speech by the dean of admissions, and literally stumbled into the room (I think he tripped on the carpet or something)... I think he was really embarrassed :P

lol Well at least I didn't stumble, but it was kind of out of a movie. I literally ran into the spot where they were all standing giving their speeches. haha I apologized to the dean and she was so nice about it. I think I aced the interviews (I realize this means nothing acceptance-wise since I'm sure everyone there did well) so I'm not too worried about the lateness. One of the interviewers said she was "so excited to meet me" after reading my essays. I was kind of stunned by how much she praised my experiences and essays. :D

ETA: I realize the last part sounds really obnoxious, sorry. I guess I'm just excited for Baylor news and am happy with how things went. :o

Trickybox, sorry, I should re-phrase my last statement. Don't prepare something ahead of time. You can't buy a starbucks gift card in Canada and give it to someone in the US...at least, I don't think you can... but have an idea of what you want to prepare ahead of time... just in case the dinner thing doesn't work out!

lol Well at least I didn't stumble, but it was kind of out of a movie. I literally ran into the spot where they were all standing giving their speeches. haha I apologized to the dean and she was so nice about it. I think I aced the interviews (I realize this means nothing acceptance-wise since I'm sure everyone there did well) so I'm not too worried about the lateness. One of the interviewers said she was "so excited to meet me" after reading my essays. I was kind of stunned by how much she praised my experiences and essays. :D

ETA: I realize the last part sounds really obnoxious, sorry. I guess I'm just excited for Baylor news and am happy with how things went. :o

It doesn't sound obnoxious! I'm glad to hear it went well, despite the transportation problem. I hope you get in!

Ahaha no worries c17h, I got the gist of your msg.

Good luck at your SLU interview tmw Rach. In fact, it might be great that you're interviewing such an important figure. I would think that they have a ton of pull ie. better at persuading other adcom members to accept you if you interviewed very well.

I'm in NY at a student host's right now for my interview at Mt. Sinai tomorrow morning. Since I'm bored and it's story time, I thought I'd add something that happened to me at Case last week.

I was sitting around the interview room after lunch waiting for my student interviewer to come pick me up. I was drinking a water and chatting with another interviewee. My interviewer finally came to pick me up and went to shake my hand. I guess I was flustered or something, because I raised my hand holding the water cup way too quickly and spilt water all over myself. It was mega embarrassing and added to my flustered-ness, but I made a joke of it and got a laugh from the interviewer so I think it blew over alright. Embarrassing still, I'm glad it wasn't coffee, and I'm really glad I didn't spill it on the interviewer.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow rach!

I'm in NY at a student host's right now for my interview at Mt. Sinai tomorrow morning. Since I'm bored and it's story time, I thought I'd add something that happened to me at Case last week.

I was sitting around the interview room after lunch waiting for my student interviewer to come pick me up. I was drinking a water and chatting with another interviewee. My interviewer finally came to pick me up and went to shake my hand. I guess I was flustered or something, because I raised my hand holding the water cup way too quickly and spilt water all over myself. It was mega embarrassing and added to my flustered-ness, but I made a joke of it and got a laugh from the interviewer so I think it blew over alright. Embarrassing still, I'm glad it wasn't coffee, and I'm really glad I didn't spill it on the interviewer.

Good luck with your interview tomorrow rach!

Hilarious rmitch! I can totally imagining myself doing that too!!.. I think one can pull off the most embarassing acts with dignity by being able to laugh at it. It must be awfuly tiring but reassuring to have so many interviews under your belt....I hope I get half as many as you:p

But all the best with Mnt Sinai tomm!!

Guest viscous
Baylor: Rach (c: 8/04, ii: 9/10)

Boston U: c17h (c: 7/16, ii: 9/3, i: 10/26); rmitch8 (c: 7/27, ii: 9/15)

Case Western: MSB (c: 7/21, ii: 7/27); rmitch8 (c: 7/23, ii: 8/10, i:10/5); deeman101 (c: 7/30, ii: 8/20)

CMS (Rosalind Franklin): Illuminis (c: 8/10, ii: 9/22, i: 11/3), trickybox (c: 8/28, ii: 9/23), c17h (c: 9/9, ii: 10/7), FOREGONECONCLUSION (c: 9/3, ii: 10/8 i: 11/9)

EVMS: wrighm6 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/31, i: 10/2)

FIU: musicaldna (c:8/18, ii:9/17, i: 10/26); trickybox (c:9/15, ii:9/17, i:10/26)

Georgetown: c17h (c: 7/21, ii: 8/3); wrighm6 (c: 7/15, ii: 8/3, i: 9/1); trickybox (c: 7/30, ii: 8/28, i: 9/28)

GWU: trickybox (c: 7/26; ii:7/29)

Indiana University: Rach (c:8/3; ii: 8:26)

Jefferson: c17h (c: 7/4, ii: 7/31, i: 9/30); Rach (c:8/4, ii: 8/13); rmitch8 (c: 7/20, ii: 8/13, i: 10/21)

U Minnesota: emcd (c: 4/9, ii: 1/10, i: 5/11), Rach (c:9/10, ii: 10/8)

Mount Sinai: rmitch8 (c: 8/10, ii: 9/9, i:10/12)

NYMC: wrighm6 (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/8), c17h (c: 7/29, ii: 9/8, i: 10/22), rmitch8 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/17), emcd (c: 20/8 ii: 7/10, i: 15/12)

NYU: rmitch8 (c:7/29, ii: 10/2)

Ohio State: ChicoMaki (c: 8/25, ii: 9/4, i: 11/9 [will probably request earlier])

St. Louis: trickybox (c: 8/3, ii: 9/9), Rach (c:mid aug, ii: 9/22), GITANJALI (c: 9/20 i: 10/9)

SUNY Upstate: rmitch8 (c: 7/31, ii: 9/4), Rach (c: 8/11, ii: 9/15), JC5 (c: 8/13, ii: 9/15)

U Kentucky: Rach (c: 9/6, ii: 9/24)

Vanderbilt: rmitch8 (c: 7/14, ii: 8/6, i: 9/11); deeman101 (c: 7/3, ii: 8/18); emcd (c: 7/30, ii: 9/2, i: 11/12); JC5 (c:7/30, ii:9/2); maelstrom (c:8/4, ii: 9/2), mystery_chick (c: 8/25, II 9/14)

Virginia Commonwealth: rmitch8 (c: 8/19, ii: 8/27, i: 12/3)

Wash U: emcd (c: 8/8, ii: 8/10, i: 17/11)

Wayne State: c17h (c: 8/3, ii: ??, i: 9/21); VTeight7 (c: 8/4, ii: 9/17, i: 10/9); wrighm6 (c: 7/22, ii: 9/17, i: 10/20)

I was complete at st louis one day after gitanjali and have not heard from them. Must then wait for a rejection email.

Archived