Premed 101 Forums

Admissions Question

So out of all Med schools Im really interested in Western for the following reasons:

My first two undergrad years my GPA wasn't very good, mostly because I didn't try very hard. From what I've read western takes my best year GPA and uses this along with my MCAT score to give me an interview. I will be going into my third year and I am very confident that I can get straight A's this year as I have done most of my hard courses for my major in biology. The one concern I had was I see a lot of people applying with Honor degrees. Will my Major in biology (completed in 4 years) get me an interview with a high 3rd year GPA such as 3.8 or more? I also will have 2 publications by next summer (ive worked on this summer) but not as main author.

Thanks

Western requires its applicants to have Honors degree or in the 4th year process when applying.

Although Western takes best 2 yrs for interview, it still considers the GPA's as a selecting factor for acceptance for post-interview as well, I believe, unlike Queens.

Just got this from the website

"

• Have completed or be in the final year of a program leading to a 4-year honours or equivalent* undergraduate degree at a recognized university and expect to have completed a minimum of 20 full or equivalent courses by the end of the academic year in which application is being made.

*Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admissions into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program. "

At UVIC it says to get into a masters program I need a B+ average from my Bachelor of Sciences. So I guess as long as I have that Im good to go?

@pbl

Negative. The sentence just means that you need to either have a H.BSc or be in your final year of completing a H.BSc. (i.e. a 4 year program)

[edit] to clarify... you should check what kind of a degree is required to get into the Masters program at UVIC. Chances are, it's an Honours degree (4-years). The B+ is only one of the requirements. Of many, i'm sure.

Western requires its applicants to have Honors degree or in the 4th year process when applying.

Although Western takes best 2 yrs for interview, it still considers the GPA's as a selecting factor for acceptance for post-interview as well, I believe, unlike Queens.

Yea, but as far as I know they look at your 2 yr GPA, not your cGPA post-interview.

Yea, but as far as I know they look at your 2 yr GPA, not your cGPA post-interview.

I never mentioned they consider cGPA after interview.

I just pointed out that GPA is still a determining factor even after interview at UWO, in contrast to Queens :)

Archived