Premed 101 Forums

Good idea to do undergrad away from Ontario in another province?

Strategy99

If you are set on med school, is it better to do undergrad in say.. Manitoba? This way you have a better chance to get the in-province seats...

Which province provides the best chances if I do my undergrad there?

Do Ontario schools reserve more seats for in-province students as well, or do they not care?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you are set on med school, is it better to do undergrad in say.. Manitoba? This way you have a better chance to get the in-province seats...

Which province provides the best chances if I do my undergrad there?

Do Ontario schools reserve more seats for in-province students as well, or do they not care?

Ontario doesn't have nearly as many IP quotas etc, but does have some schools with regional selective biases (western -> SWOMEN, Northern -> while northern, Ottawa -> different GPA cut offs based on the area).

The most important thing is to find a school program that interests you enough (so you stay focused) and you can do well in. Normally those two things are the same though :)

Not sure which one would be "best" OP? Interesting exercise to figure it out!

Definitely a good strategy and you're definitely not the first to think of it or execute it I'm sure. lol

Probably the best provinces to shoot for are the prairies or the maritimes. Although Quebec would definitely be the best one I'd think if your stinkin' parents had the foresight. =p

Definitely a good strategy and you're definitely not the first to think of it or execute it I'm sure. lol

Probably the best provinces to shoot for are the prairies or the maritimes. Although Quebec would definitely be the best one I'd think if your stinkin' parents had the foresight. =p

Definitely not the first :)

ahhh so you just need to buy a home there and do your undergrad in the Maritimes - how hard can that be :rolleyes:

Interesting that they changed the rules (as per the faq), I wondering there was actually people trying to do some sort of OOP to IP switch and this is there way of stopping it.

Usually this is determined by the place of residence of your parents or if you have established your own home; your place of residence.

What exactly defines a "place of residence" though? If you're from Ontario and you go to study at MUN or something then I'm sure you'll need to find a sublet at the very least. Does living on res count as residency?

Most other provinces usually say 2 years of just living there.. which is conveniently accomplished by going to school in said province.

What exactly defines a "place of residence" though? If you're from Ontario and you go to study at MUN or something then I'm sure you'll need to find a sublet at the very least. Does living on res count as residency?

Most other provinces usually say 2 years of just living there.. which is conveniently accomplished by going to school in said province.

yeah every school is different. It seems that maybe 2 schools within the same province also would have different qualifications for IP status. MUN is rough. People move here for a 5 year degree and are still considered OOP for meds because they were students.

The SWEETEST deal I know of (because I'm planning on doing it myself in 9 months) is U of C. The only requirements for IP status is that you are living (includes being a full-time student) for 12 months before your EXPECTED START DAY OF CLASSES OF MED1.

Let me elaborate on how sweet a deal this is:

move to calgary in august 2010

apply to calgary in october

random cycle application stuff + interview

potential med acceptance

start meds late august 2011.

you are an IP student for living in the province for 2 MONTHS.

For place of residence, I've noticed the websites give a number of examples that will satisfy the requirement. For instance, I've seen lease agreements, various utility bills, etc, listed. Basically, they want to see that you are actually living and breathing in that province. ;)

yeah.. but the question is if living in the province because you're going to school there counts or not. Apparently for the maritimes it does not?

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so I have done research, and it seems that the best place for a premed to do his undergrad is at Manitoba (33% acceptance rate for IP) or Sasketchewan (also 33%).

Is there something I am missing here, or why don't all Ontario students leave to go to these schools? They probably cost the same tuition and everything...

Go to Alberta

That is what my friend did (from Ontario), and he was IP for Alberta and Ontario.

Or you could alternatively join the Army and be IP everywhere :D

That's incorrect. You get preferential status at Dal, Ottawa, and U of C. I think that's it.

Will post more schools as I get more info...

University of Alberta:

A resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) who has been continuously resident in the Province of Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least one year immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought.

University of Calgary:

A resident of Alberta must have: lived in Alberta for the 12 consecutive months* immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought OR have attended a university in Alberta as a full-time student for at least two years; OR have resided in Alberta for 24 consecutive months at some time after completion of high school.

University of Calgary:

The Admissions Committee gives priority to residents of Manitoba who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents regardless of where they completed their premedical studies. Such residents would have graduated

from a high school in Manitoba or would have lived continuously in Manitoba for at least two years immediately prior to entry to the Faculty of Medicine.

University of Sasketchewan:

Applicants normally must have resided in Saskatchewan for three years prior to September 1 of the year in which admission is being sought. For proof, the admissions committee will take into account: Driver’s License, Hospitalization, and/or filing of income tax return as a resident of Saskatchewan (where applicable). NOTE: Residency will date from when Driver's License or Hospitalization has been changed to SK.

University of Western Ontario:

Schulich Medicine does not favor or discriminate against mature students, students with graduate degrees, completion of specific programs, home university attended, and out-of-province residents.

University of Toronto:

Could not find.

Queens University:

Could not find.

McMaster University:

If you are a Canadian citizen, your geographic status is determined from the age of 14 to date of possible admission. Any combination of periods which adds up to three years will determine the status.

(I guess this means if you've been in Ontario for 3+ years after age 14, you'll be considered as an IP)

University of Ottawa:

Students from Ontario secondary schools who intend to pursue medical studies must ensure they have completed the advanced math and science courses that qualify them for the university science courses mentioned above.

Just to add, does anyone find it kind of ridiculous that NONE of the Ontario schools reserve spots for IP students? (besides SWOMEN, northern ontarians, bla bla bla). Is that really fair?

Why doesn't everyone move out ? lol.

Mac does

In selecting applicants for interview, the bona fide place of residence will be used in the following order of priority: 1. the Province of Ontario; 2. outside Ontario.

Ninety percent of interview positions will be given to those who qualify as 1) Province of Ontario resident, and 10% to those who qualify as 2) outside Ontario .

I knew about the serious disadvantage for Ontario students, but didn't move out or even apply outside of Ontario in HS. Whatever, I'm gonna get in from here!!!!!!!#!!#!#!

Mac does

I knew about the serious disadvantage for Ontario students, but didn't move out or even apply outside of Ontario in HS. Whatever, I'm gonna get in from here!!!!!!!#!!#!#!

Yea, but read my post above (post #22). If you've been in Ontario for high school, you actually do qualify as an Ontario resident, meaning you are one of those 90% who can get an interview. Am I missing something here?

edit: just out of curiousity, if you knew about the disadvantage, why didn't you move out? (im sure you have good reasons, im just wondering is all)

Archived