Premed 101 Forums

Where does research and non-formal education go on the Dal application?

Hi all,

Over the course of preparing my application I've come to the conclusion that the categories in the supplementary info section aren't quite comprehensive enough. There are opportunities to list:

ECs

Medical experience

Jobs

Volunteer work

Scholarships/awards

In addition to a MSc thesis, I have a few publications and conference proceedings, some education carried out in Eastern Europe that was non-degree but I'd like to mention, and I speak French (and have passed Council of Europe Certification tests to verify this). Plus there are a few other odds and ends that I'd like to mention, such as certifications I have courtesy of my job.

I am a bit hesitant to place this in the section of

Special circumstances or accomplishments you wish to have taken into consideration

I already have a few 'special circumstances' I need to actually explain in this section: I've been advised by the admissions office to include a note about transferring credits from the UK, and I also have what looks like an incomplete PhD on my transcript, although in fact this work was presented as a Master's. Again, the admissions office told me to stick a note about it here.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking of breaking my response to this section into two parts, one outlining additional achievements, and another outlining special circumstances, but this will make it run very long even if I keep things brief.

Is it really okay to give them an extra page or so to read? I really can't get a feel for what is considered acceptable to include in this 'special circumstances' section, so any advice would be gratefully accepted!

Neptune

I think you should be able to include all those items in that special circumstances section and in your personal essays. As long as you put it in, it will be considered and those are the only places on the application for the extra information.

Thanks! I know that is pretty much makes sense that it goes there, but I'm just a bit concerned that it's going to end up being a really long section.

To you have any sense whether or not it is okay to include an extra page or so of information? Or would that be considered unacceptable?

Archived