Premed 101 Forums

the personal statement

Hey,

I'm just wondering if its okay to use paragraphs from our UofT essays in our Dal essays. Or would this be picked up as plagiarism under their system? Does anyone know if Dal uses Turnitin.com?

I know for a fact that Dal's administration supports and encourages the use of Turnitin.com by professors. There was a big article about it in the last issue of the Dal Student Paper. However, I dont know if the adcom will actually use it for your essays. A majority of the adcom is admin and faculty though, so I dont know.

In my opinion, I dont think using the same essay for multiple applications is plagarism. You wrote it, and its not being used in an academic sense. Its different than submitting the same paper for 2 different courses.

i thought this post was a joke until i saw the serious answers :D

in one interview, my interviewer told me he didn't know which other medical schools i'd applied to - but adcom WOULD know if i had applied to different programs at that particular school.

omg..I did se my UFT paras in my Dal essay!!! Is that bad? How can I plagiarize myself?:rolleyes:

If you submit the same assignment for 2 different courses and get credit from both courses, that is technically considered plagarism and academic dishonesty. However, whether or not using the same essay for 2 applications is kinda fuzzy. I think it should be ok.

If you submit the same assignment for 2 different courses and get credit from both courses, that is technically considered plagarism and academic dishonesty. However, whether or not using the same essay for 2 applications is kinda fuzzy. I think it should be ok.

umm getting course credits is really different from filling out apps...the problem from turnitin would arise if my essay shows up but the author (ie me) is not identified...Im sure it shoul dbe ok in principle thugh..im so agitated that Ill call dal tom and make sure..maybe ill post their ans up on this thread for future reference

this is a different scenario. the work you do in the course doesn't belong to you anymore. if you want to re-use the same work after, you need permission of the professor in that course (or some funky stuff like that)... which they'll never give to you.

statement is yours.

Archived