Premed 101 Forums

Accreditation Appeal Denied

Hey guys

Just thought I'd update you on the accreditation process at Dal. I'm sure most of you have heard that the LCME put Dalhousie on probation for not meeting several standards. Dalhousie recently went to go challenge some of the items that were listed as substandard. The appeal was unsuccessful and Dalhousie's medical program is now officially on probation for the next 2 years.

Hey guys

Just thought I'd update you on the accreditation process at Dal. I'm sure most of you have heard that the LCME put Dalhousie on probation for not meeting several standards. Dalhousie recently went to go challenge some of the items that were listed as substandard. The appeal was unsuccessful and Dalhousie's medical program is now officially on probation for the next 2 years.

Ouch! All of the Dal alumni that I've met/worked with (n=handful) have been very bright and very knowledgeable. I don't know anything about this particular LMCE review, but I suspect Dal's alleged shortcomings don't reflect fundamental flaws in the program.

In a weird and twisted way this is actually good for incoming students and applicants. UWO went through the whole accreditation dog-and-pony show while I was there, and gosh didn't the administration take student concerns seriously while we were being accredited. ;)

All the best.

Wow that's surprising... Are there any consequences of probation? If something goes wrong while on probation, does that mean that they will lose their accreditation?

No. And Dal will not lose accreditation. I don't know the specifics for how the appeal went, but I went to the town hall hosted by the dean just now. Those issues that have been identified are already being addressed or have been settled.

Ouch! All of the Dal alumni that I've met/worked with (n=handful) have been very bright and very knowledgeable. I don't know anything about this particular LMCE review, but I suspect Dal's alleged shortcomings don't reflect fundamental flaws in the program.

In a weird and twisted way this is actually good for incoming students and applicants. UWO went through the whole accreditation dog-and-pony show while I was there, and gosh didn't the administration take student concerns seriously while we were being accredited. ;)

All the best.

It's more administrative stuff. There's nothing lacking in the quality of education.

I'm actually glad this happened. Hopefully some good changes will come out of this.

It's more administrative stuff. There's nothing lacking in the quality of education.

I'm actually glad this happened. Hopefully some good changes will come out of this.

Maybe we'll get some new microscopes for the histo lab.

Who needs american acreditation anyway?

Archived