Premed 101 Forums

Ontario applicant. Got $100 to spend. Should I apply to Dal or Mcgill?

Money's really tight at the moment and I honestly don't think I can afford to apply to both right now. I have an OMSAS gpa of 3.8. 10P/11V/12B/R. Leadership experience in school-related extracurrics, a lot of clinical stuff too. Some unique arts-related things as well.

So here's the question. I've applied to the States (slightly late, but still OK) and have one interview already (which is contributing to the strapped cash). I've applied to OMSAS and Calgary. I want to increase my odds.

I applied to Dal last year and got no love. Didn't bother applying to McGill because I thought my GPA was borderline for an OOP applicant. I've been scrolling the accepted/rejected/waitlisted threads in both school sections and have found few OOP stats so I don't know what's competitive...

Why I'm leaning towards McGill? They didn't reject me last year and I love Montreal. One reason why I'm hesitant? Don't know if I really have a shot at all.

Why I'm leaning towards Dal? Hear great things about the school and as of right now, it will just be up to me. I feel like I'm imposing on my references getting them to send things left right and centre. I'd rather bother them once I have an actual chance (Dal's system).

What do you guys think I should I do?

Sigh, you're right. Do I actually have a shot at both though?

I've wasted $3500 in the past year on random applications and reasons for not getting an interview varied from vague to obtuse. I think I have a decent shot at getting some interviews in Ontario and my luck as an OOP last year (keeping in mind, I have done a lot of volunteering since then) was non-existent. I applied to Dal, Cal, UofA, and Memorial.

You probably do, but I am no expert. Also it entirely depends upon the pool. All I can tell you with absolute certainty is that this is a lottery and if you don't buy tickets, you cannot play. Given the huge investment you have made, although you will feel it in the pocket book, I verily believe you cannot afford not to apply.

Have you ever heard the expression that "expensive can be cheap whereas cheap can prove to be expensive". This is where you are at. Your one winning ticket may just be one of these two and it would be ashame not to go forward. Whatever happens, at least you will know you tried. And many of us need to apply year after year until our turn comes. Its difficult, makes no sense - but that is the way it is. I wish you best of luck.

I know avenir is always sensible, why not consider any valuable input she may consider giving to you.

Dal looks at best 2 years OMSAS, does that help you out? Have you already graduated?

Perhaps your chance at Dal sucked last year if you were in 3rd year...

Did you get an interview at UofT? Maybe it's your statement holding you back from both schools. I'd apply to McGill with your GPA btw.

Sigh, you're right. Do I actually have a shot at both though?

I've wasted $3500 in the past year on random applications and reasons for not getting an interview varied from vague to obtuse. I think I have a decent shot at getting some interviews in Ontario and my luck as an OOP last year (keeping in mind, I have done a lot of volunteering since then) was non-existent. I applied to Dal, Cal, UofA, and Memorial.

are you a quebec resident? it's easier to get into mcgill as a US citizen than being an OOP canadian (obviously this isnt a hard/fast rule but you get the drift, i.e. its tough as OOP and mcgill is more open to US students). unless something has changed in the last few years, you should keep that in mind.

Aren't the numbers for OP about the same for Dal and McGill? I believe for McGill, it is about 8 OPs. It's the nature of the game as an OP, lotsd of losers, some winners, but if you don't play, then you are out of the game. True, the numbers are not encouraging, but if applicants let that stop them, then they would only apply to Queen's and U/T where there is no quota. Like with hockey, the home team always have an advantage,

Dal looks at best 2 years OMSAS, does that help you out? Have you already graduated?

Perhaps your chance at Dal sucked last year if you were in 3rd year...

Did you get an interview at UofT? Maybe it's your statement holding you back from both schools. I'd apply to McGill with your GPA btw.

2 best years were around a 3.88 but they were my first and second year (I'm backwards). I applied to Dal as a graduate but you're right in postulating that my statement might have held me back as I didn't receive a UofT interview last year either.

For those Ontarians that did apply to Dal, did you use the same essay as UofT?

I would apply. It really is like a lottery at times and you might as well increase your odds. As a personal example, I'm from Ontario and last year I only received one interview in Ontario, while I received 4 interviews at OOP schools and my only acceptance was at MUN (where they only have 4 spots for OOP applicants). So you never know whats gonna happen unless you take your chances.

Well, we know that ontariostudent got accepted to McGill and opted for U/T I believe. Why not PM her, she is always so helpful on this forum, one of our hidden best assets. Remember, the OP pool at McGill is already reduced b/c the attitude you have causes many not to bother. It is not a foregoneconclusion!

And I think whale.of.a.time goes to Dal as an OP, why not PM him and ask.

Well, we know that ontariostudent got accepted to McGill and opted for U/T I believe. Why not PM her, she is always so helpful on this forum, one of our hidden best assets. Remember, the OP pool at McGill is already reduced b/c the attitude you have causes many not to bother. It is not a foregoneconclusion!

And I think whale.of.a.time goes to Dal as an OP, why not PM him and ask.

All os does is cut me down and tell me I'm not getting meds.

to be fair i'm painfully mean to her on fc

All os does is cut me down and tell me I'm not getting meds.

to be fair i'm painfully mean to her on fc

Thanks for the love (f_d) and hate (you know who you are, I won't name names).

I'm really no expert on McGill but all I can say is I didn't expect to get in and I did. The best part is that I found out in Feb and it made everything else so much better. It's not expensive, so just apply and hope for the best. No matter what people say, I don't think there's an easy formula for who will get in and who won't. Try and see what happens!

Archived