Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Graduate Student Policies

I have a question and am hoping someone can help me to answer it. By the end of this year I will have two undergraduate degrees and am considering beginning a Masters program in the fall, to strengthen my medical school application, as I have yet to be accepted. Am I able to apply only one year into my Masters program? Any thoughts/suggestions would be very helpful! Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I am in this situation and I have been struggling for months to figure out which option works for me. I would be happy and grateful if you guys can help me with your information/advices:

I have a thesis base masters degree from Ryerson University (Mechanical), I passed 5 courses with (2 A+, 2 A, and 1 A-)
I have done my undergrad in a tough engineering school outside of Canada: GPA 3.16/4 (two best years 3.79 & 3.41)

I am 26 and I do not want to spend a lot of money and time and gain nothing at the end, so I assume that I have the following options: 

1) doing another undergrad degree but this time in health science, become familiar with health courses and also prepare myself for MCAT, definitely my chance would be higher, I am sure I can get a high GPA. And with my masters, probably I will be good for interview. The bad thing is that it takes 4 years and I will be 30 by then. 

2) Take 2 years non-program health science courses, obtain some good marks and get ready for MCAT, and then apply. The bad thing is that, considering my low under-grad GPA I won't have a chance for the schools that consider all 4 years for calculating GPA. 

3) unfortunately, because of my immigration problems I cannot do MD outside of Canada. I am about to become PR, so leaving the country means that I have to give up on my immigration hopes. 

I understand that by doing the second option I will not have a chance at all for a lot of MD schools inside of Canada. But If you had my situation, what would you do. 

Thank you so much,
Your comments and advices would make a huge effect on my decision. 

• 3 years later...
On 5/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, ptstudent96 said:

Hey,

Do you guys know what medical schools I can apply to mid-way through my physiotherapy degree (year 1/2)? I am realizing that physiotherapy is not right for me and I am wishing to pursue medicine. Can I only apply to McMaster and Ottawa Medicine? 

If you have a good average score of the certificate, then I think you will not have problems with postgraduate treatment, then you can submit an application. But if you suddenly have problems with postgraduate treatment, then I can recommend you an essay for sale at this website, I think this is a great opportunity to definitely check the possibilities in writing an essay, I was happy to help.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey fellow non-trads! 
Does anyone have experience applying with two graduate degrees? One would be a thesis based masters (completed) and the other Is a course based masters (just starting). Wondering if this still counts as just one year (Average of both) for the programs that accept grad grades, or if they’ll just take the most recent grad degree.

21 hours ago, Sarah31 said:

Hey fellow non-trads! 
Does anyone have experience applying with two graduate degrees? One would be a thesis based masters (completed) and the other Is a course based masters (just starting). Wondering if this still counts as just one year (Average of both) for the programs that accept grad grades, or if they’ll just take the most recent grad degree.

Probably easiest to just ask the school directly, since there are so few schools that account for graduate grades, and the policies are individual.