Premed 101 Forums

Cut-offs soon

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kinda sad to have sorta irrelevant sections of the MCAT increase in requirments , while the important ones drop (BS and PS). Oh well, life indeed is a b.

VR is best predictor of success in medical school.

Not surprising considering that intellectual reasoning is much more important in medicine than factual knowledge.

VR is best predictor of success in medical school.

Not surprising considering that intellectual reasoning is much more important in medicine than factual knowledge.

That's true, but I find that I am good at reasoning stuff out when it comes to scientific material, as opposed to world history and the rituals of forgotten south american tribes. I know I might be a bit bitter here, but I think the articles we are required to read in the VR section don't bring out the reasoning skills in the proper context of scientific knowledge.

what's this mac health sci b*tching you are talking about?

there is no actual fact to that comment, there are multiple flame wars on pm101 about about the ease of mac health sci, and two schools have now upped their mcat cutoffs pretty dramatically and cut their gpa ones.

I said that more as a joke (i want no part in the mac fight), western and queens have traditionally been the mcat heavy schools in ontario.

it's interesting how they revised the text on the site from "2010 Entry" back to "2009 Entry", instead of changing the link itself from "Cutoffs2009entry.pdf" to "Cutoffs2010entry.pdf"

Ah, MansionMD. We are so in denial. VR=11 is not a cool move on the part of UWO.

it's interesting how they revised the text on the site from "2010 Entry" back to "2009 Entry", instead of changing the link itself from "Cutoffs2009entry.pdf" to "Cutoffs2010entry.pdf"

Ah, MansionMD. We are so in denial. VR=11 is not a cool move on the part of UWO.

seriously tho, why would they change it back, as opposed to changing the link?

I feel sorry for all the qualified applicants that wont even be granted an interview with the Queens and UWO cut offs. Theoretically a a GPA of 3.82, an MCAT of say 12,10,13 Q won't be good for three of the ontario schools (queens, uwo and ottawa)

there is nothing special about these numbers.

being qualified is not enough... there are more qualified applicants than spots.

You're right dude, 95th percentile at an MCAT strict cutoff school aint special at all.

obviously there were more people with 95th percentile on the mcat than they could interview so they had to raise the cutoffs. raising VR cutoffs is more fair imo than high cutoffs on highly variable measures such as GPA or WS

obviously there were more people with 95th percentile on the mcat than they could interview so they had to raise the cutoffs. raising VR cutoffs is more fair imo than high cutoffs on highly variable measures such as GPA or WS

Obviously a 9/11/10/P is not higher than 95th percentile.

Obviously a 9/11/10/P is not higher than 95th percentile.
and that argument would supprt dropping the other two sections cut off?!

you can be a keener and score high on BS and PS... but you still need excellent reasoning skills for medicine so a high VR score is more essential than an overall high score.

and the writing section?how about that going to a P? I suppose you would argue that wiriting is also irrelvant or can be mastered through keenerism!!

ps. I really don't mean to argue with you, I'm just mad as I coulda made the cut offs had the mcat not changed

The AAMC themselves say in their documents that WS scoring can be somewhat arbitrary and variable, since it is not standardized. Therefore high WS cutoffs make no sense.

Archived