Premed 101 Forums

Cut-offs soon

the term 'buzzkillington' comes to mind...

I know eh? I think sfinch has a superiority complex or something such that he must sit on a high pedestal and speak down to others in order to compensate for his unconscious feelings of inadequacy, low self-esteem, or not being able to get into medical school (I highly doubt he's in UWO Meds 2013).

Either that or he's just a poser.

Oh nevermind. I agree. I can't imagine anyone discussing GPA at Medgames.

Jk/s, I was thinking the same thing.

"So guys like, what was like your undergrad GPA like?"

"Mine was like a 4.00...HOYVIN-GLAYVIN!"

*said in a Profesor Frink-like voice*

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jk/s, I was thinking the same thing.

"So guys like, what was like your undergrad GPA like?"

"Mine was like a 4.00" HOYVIN-GLAYVIN!

*said in a Profesor Frink-like voice*

Mine isn't quite that high.... (from an Alberta admissions video) :) They were making fun of that sort of behavior as extreme GPA focus is not that useful.

There are number of people who are lucky enough/chose the right program for them/worked their asses of and mostly likely all three to get an ultra GPA. I consider my average to be a even split of all three factors.

It's a 50% interview and only 25% GPA for a reason :)

• 2 weeks later...
presently there is no evidence that the post-interview academic weighting at western is 25%.

Fair 'nuff.

However, it was in the not-to-distant past and it's unlikely to have increased or decreased tremendously in that time.

We do know however that GPA and MCAT scores are currently factored in the post-interview process to further rank order interviewees.

So the final decisions are based on 1) interview scores, 2) best two-year GPA, and 3) MCAT scores (although we aren't certain how the three are weighted).

I can now say for certain, that for 2010 entry, the post-interview formula consists of 50% interview score, 25% GPA and 25% MCAT.

I suppose most ppl already assumed this based on information from previous cycles; however, now there is no need for any assumptions.

I can now say for certain, that for 2010 entry, the post-interview formula consists of 50% interview score, 25% GPA and 25% MCAT.

I suppose most ppl already assumed this based on information from previous cycles; however, now there is no need for any assumptions.

Did I miss something? :)

Does anyone know if all the sections of the MCAT are counted? and any sources for such info? Why was I under the impression that they only counted verbal and writing sample?

Thanks

That's actually why I was asking. Very little has been released officially about how anything is scored.

Does anyone know if all the sections of the MCAT are counted? and any sources for such info? Why was I under the impression that they only counted verbal and writing sample?

Thanks

It would be more useful to confirm if:

1. Only Verbal and Writing are used in the in the 25% MCAT score?

2. Only the single best year GPA is used in the 25% GPA score?

Although I'm not sure about the GPA (i.e. whether it is the single best year or not), I can say that it is the composite MCAT score that is used in the post-interview formula (i.e. the 'VR+WS only' weighting is not true).

Guest Day_one

Do SWOMEN applicants get some kind of bonus? There's no designation for that in the formula... otherwise how can we explain that SWOMEN applicants have higher success rate in previous years (other than that they are more exceptional)?

Do SWOMEN applicants get some kind of bonus? There's no designation for that in the formula... otherwise how can we explain that SWOMEN applicants have higher success rate in previous years (other than that they are more exceptional)?

Not sure how that works, but it's clear that some sort of post-interview bonus is applied (because of the very high admissions rate for SWOMEN interviewees).

Guest Day_one

I realize that it's part of the mission of the school to recruit MDs for practice in Southern Ontario... but are SWOMEN applicants really more likely to stay?

I realize that some other schools tend to give applicants from their own locale an edge (Northern -- ~90% of seats reserved; Ottawa -- lower GPA cutoff) but has there been any research done to show that it works?

I realize that it's part of the mission of the school to recruit MDs for practice in Southern Ontario... but are SWOMEN applicants really more likely to stay?

I realize that some other schools tend to give applicants from their own locale an edge (Northern -- ~90% of seats reserved; Ottawa -- lower GPA cutoff) but has there been any research done to show that it works?

As far as I know there has been, I've heard it from many sources about several schools across Canada. I can't quote anything official though.

It is my understanding that yes, there is. The schools have evidenced based reasons for the policies - although with NOSM the school would need some more time to make such a claim.

Although I'm not sure about the GPA (i.e. whether it is the single best year or not), I can say that it is the composite MCAT score that is used in the post-interview formula (i.e. the 'VR+WS only' weighting is not true).

I hope you are right with the composite MCAT score, but do you mind if I ask where this info is from? Website, heresay, pesonal story? Not that I dont trust you, but I just joined this forum thing and dont know how to differentiate the good from the bad.

I hope you are right with the composite MCAT score, but do you mind if I ask where this info is from? Website, heresay, pesonal story? Not that I dont trust you, but I just joined this forum thing and dont know how to differentiate the good from the bad.

From Schulich Admissions (email correspondance).

Archived