Premed 101 Forums

Increased interviews this year?

During the pre-interview presentation over the past weekend, they said they were interviewing around 300 people, is this normal or higher than normal? I always thought chances of getting a spot were around 1 in 2, like other schools? I'm a N.S. resident, so I was hoping they were only interviewing around twice as many N.S. residents as N.S. spots available ( I think I read that in one of the posts on here), but with 300 interviewees, at least 200 must be from N.S. Am I missing something, or are the chances now 1 in 3 at best?

This should give you an idea:

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/class.htm

I can't say for this year, but it looks like last year they interviewed 243 people from the maritimes and 89 were subsequently accepted. This doesn't take into account wait-list people, or specify by province, but I think it is reasonable to assume that your chances (by numbers alone) are closer to 1/3 than to 1/2. Sorry.

While they score the interview and that score goes into the ranking formula, I hear they don't consider applicants who scored in the lower 50% on the interview. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I haven't heard that before, and I'd be surprised if it were true. While it would be VERY difficult for a person who scored in the bottom 50% of applicants to be accepted (let's say they get a 20/40 for that section), I doubt that they're automatically precluded from the calculations.

While they score the interview and that score goes into the ranking formula, I hear they don't consider applicants who scored in the lower 50% on the interview. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I think that the people who have the very highest scores (top 2.5% or 5%, I think) on the interview get accepted (no matter what they scored on the other parts of the application) and the people with the lowest interview scores are automatically rejected (last year, I think the cutoff score was anything below 19/40).

I don't know for sure on the top 5% thing. I've heard the same thing for years in the past I don't know if it'll be the same for this year. I know that being in the bottom 50% of the interview does not preclude you from being scored. It would however make it difficult for you to be accepted considering how low your score would be on the MMI which is worth 40 points. I suppose if you scored almost full marks on the rest of the application then it would be possible to be accepted. You'll never really know though because if you are accepted you'll never find out your scores. But you don't have to wait too much longer to find out just about 1 month to go.

Good luck everyone!

Archived