Premed 101 Forums

credit/no credit courses

Guest alan15

Guest alan15

Hello All:

I'm interested in taking a third year half course (Writing for Scientists) that teaches the essentials of scientific research writing but unfortunately this is a pass/fail credit course that have no distribution requirement status and no GPA equivalence. I want to ask if taking this course would affect my full-course load status that is so heavily stressed upon by med ad-com or have any other negative impact. Has anyone out there taken a course like such before?

Thanks in advance!

Guest scrubbed

Hello,

Will you receive university credit for the course? Will the course show up on your transcript as a half course equivalent, or however your university does it?

If so, then I think that it would be okay, as you would have taken enough credits for a full course load. The courses where you did receive a letter grade would be used for your GPA calculation.

I don't know if this is the policy at every school, but the logic seems to make sense. Email admissions at the schools that you are interestd in applying to if the answer isn't on their website.

Guest muchdutch

I took a course like that last term. I was told that it was fine because it's still a course that fulfills your credit requirements (assuming it's not a half-credit course). Your gpa will be calculated out of your other remaining courses as mentioned above.

Archived