Premed 101 Forums

Irish Medical Schools

Hey guys,

So I didn't have luck with any schools in Ontario, :( , but I did apply to schools in Ireland. I applied to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Cork, and Limerick. I applied through the Atlantic Bridges program, and recieved an email back in November saying " I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your application. All of the items required at this stage of the admissions process have now been received."

I haven't heard anything either way from any schools or Atlantic Bridges since. Is this normal?

Any help is appreciated!

K

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that RCSI had Interviews already (for the 6 year and 4year programs) back in the beginning of March in Toronto (because I was there lol). Recieved a snail mail notification this week that I was listed on the waitlist. With regards to Cork they sent out their first round of acceptances and rejections (I emailed ABP and they said I was still eleigible for 2nd round acceptances). For Limerick, interviews next weekend in Toronto (which I will be going to as well; notification sent by email).

Unsure why you havnt heard anything with regards to an interview. There may be a 2nd round for that as well. Best bet is to email ABP. Hope any this gives you some sort of perspective. Goodluck :)

There is no Official ranking. But from word of mouth (which is completely subjective so please contribute if you have anything to add)

1. Trinity (world renowned college)

2. Dublin (based on the amount of people who have matched in Canada, UCD is great)

3. RCSI (great curriculum mimics Canadian schools, private college so facilities are up to date)

4. Cork and Galway (havn't heard much to differentiate them from one another)

5. Limerick (their medical program is only 3years old so no one can say for sure how their graduates fair. Their curriculum is PBL and from past interviewees a representive from McMaster Faculty of Med actually attends the interview)

Should you accept, when do you need to make a deposit and how large is it? When is next payment due and have you made/can you make arrangements to cover tuition? Have you applied to Canadian schools and how do you rate your chances. Much food for thought. Reminds me of the ol' expression, "Be careful whatr you wish for - because it may come true!"

Goood luck in your decision making!

Thanks for your reply!

I emailed them , I am in the second round for both schools, got into Dublin apparently. Is there a ranking between all the schools? how does dublin compare?

hey. what were ur stats like? I really want to get into UCD. But i applied really late (march 15th).

hey. what were ur stats like? I really want to get into UCD. But i applied really late (march 15th).

Hey,

My GPA is 3.7, best two years are 3.91.

Mcat was 9/9/10 Q

I have my MSc, no publications yet, but presented at a number of conferences. Typical extracurriculars. I personally think it was my Masters that got me in and my research background. :) I didn't even know you could apply that late! I would say you probably won't hear until much later, like July, but thats me just guessing.

I am curious about how many international applicants there are and how many get in. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Yeah I did, did you not include one?

LOL we have the exact same stats, my first two years were not good at all,I think around 3.5's? Best of luck to you, you never know. I personally don't know if I can come up with the money, so u might get my spot! ;)

seems like a lot of people get acceptances and then lament about how they are going to pay...no disrespect, but I assumed most people thought about this before applying. just curious :confused:

Because you hope you can get in, and put all your effort into that, and try to find a solution from there ( and hope you can succeed). Thats me being honest.

I got accepted into UCD... I had interviews at U of C and U of A.

It's 4444 Euros to hold a deposit (non-refundable from what it looks like) which comes out to about $7000, and I have to let them know by April 16.

I'm not sure know what to do...

Anyone know if Trinity's made their first offers yet?

It's 4444 Euros to hold a deposit (non-refundable from what it looks like) which comes out to about $7000, and I have to let them know by April 16.

as of 2 days ago, Trinity did not yet make offers yet. i found out through ABP. also, 4444 euros is only 6000 canadian plus change. i personally think you should pay it. u dont have much to lose (other than $6000). if you get into ireland, it goes towards your tuition. if you get into alberta/calgary, the loss of $6000 is irrelevant as their tuition is already so cheap. u will be living at home right? you can easily make that money back if you work full time hours in the summer. but yeah its a tough call. also, u will start making that money back in 3rd year when you start rotations.

im just surprised that these irish schools also make so much money off students who eventually get into canadian/american schools by implementing those outrageous deposits. this, coupled with the monstrous tuition fees, goes towards funding the actual medical schools. in essence, we are paying for irish people to attend their own schools for free.

I just got accepted to Trinity today (the letter arrived this morning by FedEx). My application is apparently on reserve at Cork, RCSI, and UCD.

seems like a lot of people get acceptances and then lament about how they are going to pay...no disrespect, but I assumed most people thought about this before applying. just curious :confused:

well obviously ive thought about - just looking for some ideas other than taking out a home equity line on my parents house

as of 2 days ago, Trinity did not yet make offers yet. i found out through ABP. also, 4444 euros is only 6000 canadian plus change. i personally think you should pay it. u dont have much to lose (other than $6000). if you get into ireland, it goes towards your tuition. if you get into alberta/calgary, the loss of $6000 is irrelevant as their tuition is already so cheap. u will be living at home right? you can easily make that money back if you work full time hours in the summer. but yeah its a tough call. also, u will start making that money back in 3rd year when you start rotations.

im just surprised that these irish schools also make so much money off students who eventually get into canadian/american schools by implementing those outrageous deposits. this, coupled with the monstrous tuition fees, goes towards funding the actual medical schools. in essence, we are paying for irish people to attend their own schools for free.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't make Trinity's first cut (according to ABP, but I haven't been rejected yet). I've decided to pay the $6000. Losing the money wouldn't suck as much as losing my place not going to Med school next year if the Canadian schools don't accept me. =T

Thanks for the advice. I didn't make Trinity's first cut (according to ABP, but I haven't been rejected yet). I've decided to pay the $6000. Losing the money wouldn't suck as much as losing my place not going to Med school next year if the Canadian schools don't accept me. =T

good for you vje !! :) I hope I get into UCD as well. I applied 7 months late, so I am pretty sure my application is on reserve. I guess I am waiting for one of you guys to get into north america so you can give up the spot for me.

Archived