Premed 101 Forums

Irish Medical Schools

You may not be considering applying to CaRMS (you may be planning to go straight to the US match), but if you're interested, you can see how many Canadian students who received their MDs in a particular country have acquired residency in Canada in the last five years.

It gives the number by country (page 48). Irish schools do well overall, though this table doesn't permit you to separate their matches individually. To steal the Grenada reference above, in the last five years, 10 Canadians who graduated from Grenada school(s) matched in the CaRMS match and are currently residents. It DOES NOT tell you how many people applied, only how many were accepted.

http://www.caper.ca/docs/pdf_2008-09_CAPER_Census.pdf

good resource. ireland is decent. wow check out the number of people from saudi arabia!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, only 7 Canadians who trained in Saudia Arabia (over the past five years) are doing residency now.

(You need to ignore the Visa category; it is irrelevant to Canadians).

Yup, from what I understand, Saudi Arabia pays a LOT of money to have their doctors train here and they do it through a separate stream that doesn't have to do with CaRMS.

all very true! however, i would argue that becoming a physician won't let u live a normal life. :P u go to u of t? I heard they have not given out a 4.0 in many years. lol. I'm here as well...but only doing a master's. well, i dont know if we have any evidence suggesting that trinity will lower your grades just because they are trinity. US experience definitely sucks, but to address your previous question, i dont know if two will suffice for EM. I have stumbled upon some hospital websites which declared that they need 'extensive experience'. dont know if 2 is extensive. if i get into UCD or trinity though, i'll probably do some shadowing and more research (unfortunately) to compensate for the lack of clinicals. i know i'll match for something somewhere, even if it is just FM. not looking to do surgery or anything like that.

Lol yes, UofTorture.

Most need 3-4 reference letters, one of which must be from an ER doctor in the US...I think that is possible to get with two rotations? Are you sure about that 2 rotations max thing though?

What if I want keep my options open and want to do electives in both US and Canada. Is that possible? Or do I have to choose one and stick to that.

OK so since this is an Irish school thread.

And since we've established that Caribbean schools are a better option (from Cost-benefit analysis).

Why would anybody apply to Ireland??

I would dispute that. Actual match stats are very hard to come across. The best info I've recieved was from the CEO of CaRMS who was recently in Ireland and quoted us a positive match result of 67% for Ireland and 25% for the Carribbean. That's a little stark when compared to marginal cost savings.

Archived