Premed 101 Forums

US residency after medicine from caribbean

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and am looking into caribbean schools for medicine. I don't have much interest in coming back to Canada for residency. I wanted to know if Canadians can get a residency match in U.S. AS SOON AS they are done with their 4 years of medical education. I have heard things like you will have to wait a year before you can apply for residency spots in the US. Is this true? If so, what is the reason? Also, how hard is it for a caribbean school graduate who is a non-US citizen to get a residency spot in US. Are graduates from caribbean schools in the same pool as graduates from US med schools?

Also, as for loans, will the Canadian government give me a loan (OSAP) to study abroad (be it caribbean for the US)?

thanks

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen and am looking into caribbean schools for medicine. I don't have much interest in coming back to Canada for residency. I wanted to know if Canadians can get a residency match in U.S. AS SOON AS they are done with their 4 years of medical education. I have heard things like you will have to wait a year before you can apply for residency spots in the US. Is this true? If so, what is the reason? Also, how hard is it for a caribbean school graduate who is a non-US citizen to get a residency spot in US. Are graduates from caribbean schools in the same pool as graduates from US med schools?

Also, as for loans, will the Canadian government give me a loan (OSAP) to study abroad (be it caribbean for the US)?

thanks

I am in the EXACT same boat as you . I have zero desire to work in Canada and have been thinking about your question! thx for posting it!

Archived