Premed 101 Forums

A Little Insight?

Hello everyone!

I'm new to these boards and was hoping that some of you could provide a little insight into my options.

I am a certified paramedic as well as firefighter. I went to college for both and am currently working with a fire dept. Since graduating I've become driven to pursue further academics as I feel that I have cut my potential short, so to speak. As such, I've decided to embark upon the long road to medicine as it has always been in my mind and has become more apparent over the years!

I obviously need to complete a degree and I am currently trying to figure out the best way to do this.

- UTSC has a joint Bsc program in which through my paramedic training I could finish my undergrad in 2 years. Anyone have any experience with this program? Would 2 years be enough to apply to NOSM? Would I have to do a 3rd year of unclassified study or what would be the best route? Any other ideas on program choices?

Any information or help in getting my bearings would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance and wish you all the best of luck!!

Hi FireMedic,

Although it's too late to apply for this year, check out OUIT's Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences. The program is geared towards working professionals (eg. it's 99% online), and your 2 years of college get transfered and count toward your 4 year degree.

Good luck!

I think this applies to you.

"College Transfer Programs

NOSM requires the minimum completion of a four-year recognized university undergraduate degree (three-year, if applying as a Mature Student.) Only university degree level course credits are used in the calculation of the GPA. NOSM recognizes the programming partnership and collaboration that exists between many universities and community colleges. College Transfer students or Collaborative program students must have completed a minimum of the equivalent of one full year of undergraduate degree level course credits at the time of application to medical school"

Hi again,

Yes, sorry, I meant to say the Allied Health Sciences program. It's both part-time and full-time. My partner is currently in the full-time program, and it's 2 full years. It does indeed count as a four year uni degree once you're finished.

Good luck!

Archived