Premed 101 Forums

Confused... Graduate Degree scoring?

Okay, am looking at this right now: http://www.normed.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1232

Graduate Degree is mentioned twice. Once suggesting it needs to be completed by Dec 30th of the application year, and then again suggesting it would be completed by the application deadline (which we all know to be Oct 1st).

So, anybody requested clarification on that? I will be completing my masters between Oct 1st and Dec 30th so this would make a pretty big difference for me--potentially allowing me to receive credit and reapply a year earlier.

Also, am I correct in understanding that the marks obtained in the grad degree don't matter, as long as you receive the degree? Sounds like convocation is all that is needed to nab the 0.20 GPA boost.

Trying to bump up my 3.71. :P

You need to have convocated by December 30th in the year you applied for the 0.2 points to be added to your GPA. Pretty much you have to graduate in October 2010 for the upcoming cycle to be eligible for the bonus.

Source: I completed my degree by but did not convocate by December 2009, so I was not eligible for the 0.2 bonus. I spoke directly to Admissions regarding this matter.

You do not need to be graduated by Oct 2010 to be eligible for the 0.2 boost. Since most graduate students will complete at the end of a 6th term , the fall convocation date varies for all school. As long as your transcript reads MSc Completed by the end of December, you can send an updated transcript to OMSAS and they will forward it to NOSM by the Dec 30th deadline.

You do not need to be graduated by Oct 2010 to be eligible for the 0.2 boost. Since most graduate students will complete at the end of a 6th term , the fall convocation date varies for all school. As long as your transcript reads MSc Completed by the end of December, you can send an updated transcript to OMSAS and they will forward it to NOSM by the Dec 30th deadline.

This is not what Julie Pacifico informed me this past December. However, it is in your best interests to contact the Admissions Office directly to confirm the information regarding your specific situation.

Yeah, I am just starting my Masters program in May... it's around a 20 month program, so I am thinking even if I push it, December is my best bet. I doubt if I will have everything graded and a completed transcript by the 30th. That being said, there is a health psychology certificate program that I could take starting in January of 2012 that would finish up in August, 8 months later. So I'd be ready to apply for the Oct 1st 2012 deadline with a Masters degree (0.2 bump) as well as that certificate which would just fall into the 48 item sketch.

Hrm. It's unnerving for me to be thinking this far into the future. Haha

Archived