Premed 101 Forums

Why are YOU interested in going to the States? (for people going)

Why are you interested in going to the States?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Why are you interested in going to the States?

• As a safety if I don't/didn't get into a Canadian school
    • I want to live in the States
    • There's more opportunity in the States
    • On a whim
    • Green tea ice cream is amazing

Hi,

I'm an American doing my premed in Canada. I couldn't get through this whole thread but it sort of reminded me the vibes I get when people in my labs find out I'm American--all of a sudden a change in attitude towards me until they forget I'm American again because we're really not that different ;-).

I just have to say that you Canadians really split hairs when it comes to Canada vs. the US. I think you guys would probably say we don't do it because we're so ARROGANT but really, it's just a big energy waster, and I've lived in other countries where they didn't think about the US or any other country so much. Canada vs. US, it's clearly, in every individual's case, a question of many social and financial factors, not just for medicine, but for a lot of things when it comes to deciding where to live if a person has to choose between the two. A person probably rarely gets to just go somewhere because it has an awesome reputation (Harvard or whatever)--instead it boils down to where you get in, how much it costs, who you are leaving behind, how much you care. But then we all have to sort of justify the decision we were forced to make with other factors that make it ok. Hence the inflammatory discussion on technology. I am in Manitoba for financial reasons but it's "ok" because the education is the same, I can do everything quicker, Canada is a nice place, it's a new fun and different experience.

I haven't had great experiences every time with doctors here, but it's the same in the US. And when you look at the overall picture, Canada makes up for the less snazzy technology by being more socially responsible. I am happy to have free healthcare, I'd rather have that than the other things I get in the US. And if I were, like, black, what I'd get in the US might not be that much because of the prevalence of discrimination everywhere. Anyway I really like Canada. The US is pretty cool too.

good luck future doctors ;-)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived