Premed 101 Forums

Last 2 years GPA

Hello! I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times, I tried the search function with no success.

When calculating your last two years GPA are summer classes included? I will be applying to Queens in my fourth year (assuming my summer MCAT goes well) and so I was wondering if my 2nd year summer classes will be included in the weighted gpa (I know they are included for cumulative).

Thanks!:)

Correct, From the Queen's FAQ

Are summer courses acceptable and included in the requirements for credits?

Courses taken during the summer or while a part time student will be included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA. These courses will not be included in the calculation of the GPA based on the most recent to two full time years, if this calculation is necessary.

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_procedures/frequently_asked_questions

Correct, From the Queen's FAQ

Are summer courses acceptable and included in the requirements for credits?

Courses taken during the summer or while a part time student will be included in the calculation of the cumulative GPA. These courses will not be included in the calculation of the GPA based on the most recent to two full time years, if this calculation is necessary.

http://meds.queensu.ca/undergraduate/prospective_students/application_procedures/frequently_asked_questions

Always found that odd - but it is just the way queens does things :)

Always found that odd - but it is just the way queens does things :)

When OMSAS confirmed a correction they made to my gpa, I saw why it made sense.

They calculate average gpa for a fall-spring term, for summer terms and for entire degrees.

So for the cGPA, they just take the gpa given to them for the entire degree.

For the 2 year... they take the last two years and divide by 2.

If you were going to include summer courses in the 2 years, it would take a much more thorough calculation that would have to take credit weight into account.

• 1 month later...
How does Queen consider a 5th yr after graduation?

At full course load, would it count towards my last-two year GPA determination?

Yes, I am almost definite that your 4th and 5th year would be considered.

Although, keep in mind that if you apply during the next application cycle, they will not have your 5th year grades yet. So they would be taking into account your 3rd and 4th year grades for the last-two year GPA determination, just like they would have taken 2nd and 3rd year into account for this year.

• 2 weeks later...

as a follow up:

I myself have decided to take an extra year of study (5th year) and plan on applying AFTER I complete my 5th year. With queens' best 2 year GPA system, does it matter what courses you take in the upper years? what I mean is, if someone took a 5th year, and took a mix of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th yaer level courses does that matter? or just all 1st year courses (to up the gpa)???

To the best of my knowledge, they dont have the same policy that UWO may have.....any comments???

thanks.

yeah thats what i meant sorry, the most recent 2 years.

But does it matter what courses you take in those recent two years? (assuming you have all the pre-req)

Do that have a rule like UWO, where you must maintain so many 4th year courses in the 4th year????

Check Queen's Official FAQ. :)

If you can't find your answer there, then email Corrine Wickman (wickhamc@queensu.ca) or Jennifer Saunders (saunderj@queensu.ca) [they are both Admissions Officers @ Queen's School of Medicine]. ;)

Archived