Premed 101 Forums

First choice? (post-interview)

What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)

• Northern Ontario School of Medicine
    • University of Ottawa
    • Queen's University
    • University of Toronto
    • McMaster University
    • University of Western Ontario

Did your 'first-choice' change after your interview experience? I think it would be interesting just to compare the results of this poll to the results from the poll that was set-up before interviews occurred.

I've also added NOSM to this poll as it was neglected from the last one.

If you still have some interviews remaining, try to wait to answer until you've finished all of your interviews!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polls like these have no predictive or statistical value because not everyone interviews at every school.

For example, my first choice is my last choice :)

I understand that -- it's more just for fun / to help pass time until May 13 arrives !

It is nice to NOSM up on the poll this time.

I truly believe that the more people who come here for an interview, the more who will change their position and want NOSM as a top choice.

Yeah the perspection is that if you aren't from at part of the country there is little point applying. I wonder if there any statistics to back that position up?

It's interesting that post-interview Queen's stock has gone up so much. And I don't think you can see it is because there a lot of people with Queen's invites only, so it's their only option, because in my post from a month ago asking people their first choice of schools they got an invite to, Queen's was way behind UofT and Western. Could easily be tiny sample size though as well. I dunno though - I just had my Queens interview this weekend, and I do have to say, it has gone up a ton in my mind as well. The students were really cool, and the atmosphere was good there.

It's interesting that post-interview Queen's stock has gone up so much. And I don't think you can see it is because there a lot of people with Queen's invites only, so it's their only option, because in my post from a month ago asking people their first choice of schools they got an invite to, Queen's was way behind UofT and Western. Could easily be tiny sample size though as well. I dunno though - I just had my Queens interview this weekend, and I do have to say, it has gone up a ton in my mind as well. The students were really cool, and the atmosphere was good there.

I agree.

Not to mention Queen's Meds Class of 2014 will be moving into a beautiful, brand new building in second year. There was also some talk about the 2014s being the first class to begin clerkship in September of third year, which I think is a good thing.

I just want one school to say yes, but if I have a choice, it's certainly going to be a tough one! I think it's impressive how wide-spread the voting is in this poll. Just goes to show that wherever you end up going in Ontario, you are more than likely going to have a great experience.

Before my Queen's interview this weekend, I was 100% UWO.

Now.....gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It was my first time visiting Kingston, and I just loved the city, and was really impressed with the interview weekend. If I am the luckiest person alive and get to choose between UWO and Queen's, it will be a very, very difficult choice.

I agree.

Not to mention Queen's Meds Class of 2014 will be moving into a beautiful, brand new building in second year. There was also some talk about the 2014s being the first class to begin clerkship in September of third year, which I think is a good thing.

I just want one school to say yes, but if I have a choice, it's certainly going to be a tough one! I think it's impressive how wide-spread the voting is in this poll. Just goes to show that wherever you end up going in Ontario, you are more than likely going to have a great experience.

Before my Queen's interview this weekend, I was 100% UWO.

Now.....gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It was my first time visiting Kingston, and I just loved the city, and was really impressed with the interview weekend. If I am the luckiest person alive and get to choose between UWO and Queen's, it will be a very, very difficult choice.

lol, I know exactly how you feel. I was leaning towards UWO before my Queen's interview too.

I didn't get a good vibe during my UWO interview weekend, but my Mac interview experience was by far the most AMAZING. I was really impressed by the students, the facilities, and everyone's attitude. I can really see myself at Mac. We'll see May 13!

I'm surprised by this, but moreso by the votes for Queen's. A lot of people seemed to have negative stereotypes associated with the school. I guess the interview changed their minds?

as a forum member already pointed out, many people do not have the luxury of choice, and therefore, their "first choice" might not necessarily coincide with their ideal choice. This pattern you noticed could simply be because queens interviewed more applicants than basically any other med school

as a forum member already pointed out, many people do not have the luxury of choice, and therefore, their "first choice" might not necessarily coincide with their ideal choice. This pattern you noticed could simply be because queens interviewed more applicants than basically any other med school
ooh. I never thought of that, even though it's an obvious answer. I guess I shouldn't post when I'm thinking about a million other things. lol!

ooh. I never thought of that, even though it's an obvious answer. I guess I shouldn't post when I'm thinking about a million other things. lol!

No biggie.. for all I know, you could be right, perhaps the interviews were that spectacular... But you know science... cant make a conclusion until you eliminate all other possibilities

I'm surprised by this, but moreso by the votes for Queen's. A lot of people seemed to have negative stereotypes associated with the school. I guess the interview changed their minds?

Queen's is pretty awesome. I didn't realize that they were getting an entirely new building for the school of medicine until the interview day. Check it out.

Although, I have to say that, currently, I found Mac's facilities to be the best right now. Their school of medicine building is sick. It's all about where you feel comfortable with for 4 (or 3) years. I have to say that for me, Mac is #1, and Queen's is a close #2.

This pattern you noticed could simply be because queens interviewed more applicants than basically any other med school

Queen's interviewed roughly 530 applicants this year

(https://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2014:interview_faq)

UofT interviewed roughly 530

(http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm)

Mac interviewed roughly 530

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39797)

Western interviewed 430

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40905)

Queen's interviewed roughly 530 applicants this year

(https://meds.queensu.ca/courses/community/meds2014:interview_faq)

UofT interviewed roughly 530

(http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm)

Mac interviewed roughly 530

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39797)

Western interviewed 430

(http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40905)

NOSM invited 400.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the fact that you deleted all your posts from that thread, it's obvious your intentions aren't so altruistic.

I think this post sums it up quite nicely:

Everyone try to keep in mind.... when a new user, with 2 posts, says they go to a medical school and then just trashes the entire school, there is a good chance the post isn't what it seems.

It's rare that someone becomes a senior student at a medical school, and all of a sudden decides to join a predominantly pre-medical forum website to trash their own program only days after that school did interviews.

There are about 430 people that would have a slight interest in making a program that they are interviewing for sound terrible to drive people with a choice away from that school. I'm sure wuckfestern will come out adamantly denying this claim, but I suspect this user, is another premedical student that interviewed at Western trying to deter others in an effort to increase his or her own chances.

There is always the chance that I'm wrong, but when considering these posts, do be careful!

Archived