Premed 101 Forums

First choice? (post-interview)

What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)

• Northern Ontario School of Medicine
    • University of Ottawa
    • Queen's University
    • University of Toronto
    • McMaster University
    • University of Western Ontario

Given the fact that you deleted all your posts from that thread, it's obvious your intentions aren't so altruistic.

I think this post sums it up quite nicely:

I agree with HBP, people tend to be fiercely proud of the medical school that they are in. I find it unlikely that it took so long for a "senior medical student" to come out of the woodwork.

If you are in fact a premed, shame on you. You wont make it into Western, or anywhere else, with that sabotaging attitude. Just to spite you, I will promote Western medical school amongst the med applicants I know to reduce your chances of getting in. If you are not actually premed, disregard my actions, as they will in no way affect you. happy trails :P

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's funny, in his attempt to make UWO seems less desirable, he may be doing the exact opposite.

I know :P For one thing, western seems to be a barrel of laughs, full of school spirit and love :P People who sabotage others should never be allowed to set foot on such fun places (not that u of t is any less fun... okay, maybe just a little...)

Before my interviews, my first choice was U of T. That said, being from NS, I had never even been to any of these cities/schools before, aside from a week in Toronto a few years ago. After having seen Western, Mac, Ottawa, and Queen's I would have to say that I completely fell in love with Queen's and couldn't stop smiling when I was there. I'm currently in Toronto, waiting for my interview tomorrow morning (so my opinion could change), but I thought that Queen's was just amazing and I thought that Kingston was an awesome city.

Queen's is now my first choice.

Just trying to account for some of the discrepancy between the last poll and the current edition.

Before my interviews, my first choice was U of T. That said, being from NS, I had never even been to any of these cities/schools before, aside from a week in Toronto a few years ago. After having seen Western, Mac, Ottawa, and Queen's I would have to say that I completely feel in love with Queen's and couldn't stop smiling when I was there. I'm currently in Toronto, waiting for my interview tomorrow morning (so my opinion could change), but I thought that Queen's was just amazing and I thought that Kingston was an awesome city.

Queen's is now my first choice.

Just trying to account for some of the discrepancy between the last poll and the current edition.

teehee.. there is a good chance your mind will change... the interviewing people are all super friendly, and i heard that there is a free pub night afterwards. ENJOY! :D

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?

UTPEOPLE speaks like a seasoned veteran for med school apps, but hasn't even applied yet.

You are epic.

I hope you mean this in a good way :D. And all that seasoning comes from wistfully looking into the med sci lounge from the outside... and a little bit of insider info :D And to be fair, my med app is prepared... (mainly sketch and bio for ut)

HBP, I'm not trying to make UWO seem "less desirable", and I don't care if more people go to western. I just want everyone to know the reality. It's a good school, but not as great as everyone says it is, that's all.

Also, why must you critique every single person's post? First, you bully me by saying I have some non-altruistic motive for sharing the truth. Then, you bully UTPEOPLE about posting without applying this cycle. Then, you tell someone else to "crawl back under your rock". Stop bullying other people.

Let's flip the script on this. Judging by your activity in the Toronto forum, you seem to have Toronto pegged as your #1 choice, and since this thread (along with last year's) has Toronto in the lead, you want to quash all posts suggesting that Toronto is better and other schools are worse.

Perhaps YOU have a bigger vested interest in this topic, and/or YOU have a non-altruistic motive for trying to discredit me. Again, I still wish you all the best this cycle.

BS detector going off.

HBP, I'm not trying to make UWO seem "less desirable", and I don't care if more people go to western. I just want everyone to know the reality. It's a good school, but not as great as everyone says it is, that's all.

Also, why must you critique every single person's post? First, you bully me by saying I have some non-altruistic motive for sharing the truth. Then, you bully UTPEOPLE about posting without applying this cycle. Then, you tell someone else to "crawl back under your rock". Stop bullying other people.

Let's flip the script on this. Judging by your activity in the Toronto forum, you seem to have Toronto pegged as your #1 choice, and since this thread (along with last year's) has Toronto in the lead, you want to quash all posts suggesting that Toronto is better and other schools are worse.

Perhaps YOU have a bigger vested interest in this topic, and/or YOU have a non-altruistic motive for trying to discredit me. Again, I still wish you all the best this cycle.

I hope you mean this in a good way :D. And all that seasoning comes from wistfully looking into the med sci lounge from the outside... and a little bit of insider info :D And to be fair, my med app is prepared... (mainly sketch and bio for ut)

Course I meant it in a good way (called you epic man! -- I don't give that out lightly). You should try to know everything about the application process before applying.

Pretty intense reasoning.

I won't lie, UT is my #1 choice. Actually, it's my only choice, but that's beside the point. However, I have not in any way tried to discredit UofT, or artificially boost qualities in other schools.

Let's look at the facts:

- you said you should have gone to the Windsor campus before it existed

- you deleted all your initial badmouth posts in that thread (why? give me a few good reasons)

- you joined this forum to bad mouth UWO a couple days after UWO interviews pre-meds (not after CaRMS etc.)--what's your vested interest?

- you refuse to answer people about certain truths any UWO student would know.

I'm not bullying. I'm just calling it as I see it. UTPEOPLE is prepared--awesome! That other dude is a troll. You are a phony.

wow, I just went through the links that wuckfestern posted. They are pretty intense. Why would the faculty try to prevent students from getting to school during the transit strike? Why is Western ranked #9 now? I remember they were ranked around 3 or 4 a couple years ago?

Pretty intense reasoning.

I won't lie, UT is my #1 choice. Actually, it's my only choice, but that's beside the point.

I am in a similar situation. I only received an interview from UofT so it is also my first and only choice and hopefully we both get in :). However, if I had a choice I would choose Western because of the good things I heard about that school. I was born in Toronto and would love a chance to live in another city for a few years. Also, I think I would have a decent shot at the Schulich Scholarship since my combined parental income is only around 40k.

I am in a similar situation. I only received an interview from UofT so it is also my first and only choice and hopefully we both get in :). However, if I had a choice I would choose Western because of the good things I heard about that school. I was born in Toronto and would love a chance to live in another city for a few years. Also, I think I would have a decent shot at the Schulich Scholarship since my combined parental income is only around 40k.

UT also offers an enhanced bursary you should look into.

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/students/finance/financialaid/Grants_and_Bursaries.htm

ENHANCED BURSARY PROGRAM INFORMATION

The Enhanced Bursary Program is a limited program designed to assist students with the highest level of financial need. Financial need will be assessed using information from government student loan programs along with a detailed review of financial information for the student, family and spouse. It is unlikely that more than eight to ten students will receive assistance through this program. Grants will be provided to assist in meeting the costs of study associated with the MD program. Assistance provided under this program will be in addition to any grants the student may otherwise be eligible to receive.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?

To be eligible to submit an application, you must meet the following criteria:

1. You have applied for and received government loan assistance for the upcoming academic year *

2. Your family and spouse are unable to provide financial support to assist with the costs of attending medical school

3. Prior to submitting your application, please make arrangements to discuss your application with a Financial Counsellor. Contact information is shown below.

* Because residents of the Province of Quebec are not eligible to receive government loan funding, Quebec residents are exempt from meeting this requirement.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your eligibility for the Enhanced Bursary Program, please contact Renuka Kapur or Bill Gregg (contact information is shown at bottom).

A copy of the 2009 ENHANCED BURSARY APPLICATION is available here.

Archived