Premed 101 Forums

First choice? (post-interview)

What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your first choice (of the schools you have interviewed at)?)

• Northern Ontario School of Medicine
    • University of Ottawa
    • Queen's University
    • University of Toronto
    • McMaster University
    • University of Western Ontario

I'm fairly certain this is not the case. My understanding is that Macleans compiles data on different universities, but because it wouldn't be fair to compare a large school like UofT to a small one like Trent, they group schools into different classes for more meaningful comparisons. Because a school with a medical faculty offers something entirely different than a school that doesn't, those schools are grouped into their own category. They are not, however, comparing medical schools per se.

that's my understanding as well :)

Waterloo and Guelph if I recall feel into one category a few years ago, and that was one that was different from Toronto and McGill for instance.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are... lol.. but the real monsters are the ones getting into saskatchewan OOP in second year or UofT/Ottawa in third year. Need crazy grades (without weighting) + a super competitive application in 1/3 or 2/3 of the time spent in university at the time of application when compared with a fourth year applicant

THEY'RE NOT MONSTERS THEY'RE HUMAN BEINGS

I think he meant monsters in a good way, figuratively to say that they are the best of the best...i.e. Zinedine Zidane is a monster of a soccer player he can take on the entire Italian soccer team;)

I dont know... maybe I did mean that they are actually little space men from mars! :D

Well...in that case, I guess they are humans ;) and not monsters.

Lol.. if anything, I'm more impressed with their ability to stick it through and interview at all those universities (taking soo many weekends out of their schedule)... I have a friend who also applied broadly, but then turned down the interview invites of all but her top 4 or 5 (not sure) choices. I thought it was a colossal waste of money, but given how Wkim101 got so exhausted from his interviews, it may have actually been a wise decision.

Lol.. if anything, I'm more impressed with their ability to stick it through and interview at all those universities (taking soo many weekends out of their schedule)... I have a friend who also applied broadly, but then turned down the interview invites of all but her top 4 or 5 (not sure) choices. I thought it was a colossal waste of money, but given how Wkim101 got so exhausted from his interviews, it may have actually been a wise decision.

Interviews, while stressful, are wonderful life experiences and not what I would consider exhausting. I have had to travel fairly extensively and frequently due to my out of Ontario location, but it's been wonderful and totally worth it. If you are unable to handle flying for a few interviews, do yourself a favour and decline any offers of admission you may receive. It may be a little bit tiring, but I'm not going to wave my e-peen around and boast about my interviews like some individuals, especially around people who are dying to be given just one chance. It is unbecoming and arrogant, and if you need validation from a bunch of internet people that you have never actually met than I think you need to re-consider what is important. This forum provides a wonderful opportunity to share our successes and failures, but complaining of exhaustion due to excessive interviewing is not legit.

Man, has this ever gotten off topic. My bad.

Congratulations TheFonz! You'll have so many options to choose from on May 13!

btw... I think you are the person with the most Canadian med school interviews I've seen on PM101?!

Thanks very much! I know of a couple of people who have more interviews than I do. A grad student in our lab has had 9 interviews in Canada (he applied out west as well). As mentioned, WKim is kicking ass (although his/her arrogance seriously bothers me). I know itimebomb has done amazingly well for himself this cycle as well. This process is a hell of a lot of luck though, so I'm not about to proclaim myself to be that much different from the average applicant. I've seen applicants with similar GPAs and much higher MCATs on pm101, I just happened to get lucky with some cut-offs (R at Queen's, 11VR at UWO). RMitch is rocking at the US apps as well, and I honestly feel US schools do a better and more thorough job than Canadian schools do at evaluating applicants.

I also agree with hopeforthebest in that you absolutely owe it to yourself to give 100% for interviews. Each interview is an amazing opportunity that literally hundreds or thousands of people dream about. If you don't want it, then DON'T GO. Give the opportunity to someone who does. I have spent a ton of money interviewing here and the US, but it has been an amazing experience, and an awesome opportunity to travel, and meet people (although it's kinda put me behind in my classes lol). Who knows, come May 13th, maybe I'm rejected/WLed at 4-5 or even all 6 CDN schools. Anything can happen in this process, and I would believe it.

Of the schools I interviewed at, my original top choice would have been Western, but after the interviews it was solidly Queen's.

Queen's did a great job setting up the entire interview day - the students seemed so happy, and the little touches like the bus tour really made it shine.

Of the schools I interviewed at...

Pre-interview

1) Western 2) Queen's 3) Mac 4) Calgary 5) Ottawa

Post-interview

1) Queen's 2) Calgary 3) Western 4) Mac 5) Ottawa

If I wasn't from Mac for undergrad though (I.e. I don't want to stay in the same place), I'd probably put Mac at #2 post-interview.

Of the schools I interviewed at, my original top choice would have been Western, but after the interviews it was solidly Queen's.

Queen's did a great job setting up the entire interview day - the students seemed so happy, and the little touches like the bus tour really made it shine.

Of the schools I interviewed at...

Pre-interview

1) Western 2) Queen's 3) Mac 4) Calgary 5) Ottawa

Post-interview

1) Queen's 2) Calgary 3) Western 4) Mac 5) Ottawa

If I wasn't from Mac for undergrad though (I.e. I don't want to stay in the same place), I'd probably put Mac at #2 post-interview.

haha, I feel pretty much the same after interviews, except no Calgary for me, and Toronto instead of Ottawa...

1) Mac, 2) Queen's, 3) Toronto, 4) Western

I'm so bitter that Mac didn't interview me :mad:

For me, it's 1) Toronto, 2) Queen's, 3) Western

but, I'll take anything I can get at this point. Fingers crossed for May 13 :cool:

lol, i guess you're right, it's like counting chickens before they hatch so to speak

I'm so bitter that Mac didn't interview me :mad:

For me, it's 1) Toronto, 2) Queen's, 3) Western

but, I'll take anything I can get at this point. Fingers crossed for May 13 :cool:

just out of curiousity, how come Toronto over Queen's?

Queen's is getting a brand spanking new building for the faculty of medicine!

It's strange, everyone seems to love the interview day Queen's set up for us but for me Queen's went down on my preference list after interviewing there. It's hard to put a finger on what exactly bugs me about it, but for some reason I was also really turned off by Queen's when I visited before undergrad.

Archived