Premed 101 Forums

Question to those accepted even if they never attended NOSM...

I am just wondering if anyone here has been accepted in the past even though they walked away from the interviews not feeling great b/c they were so nervous?

Maybe because I've been fixating on the details since the interview, but I am just wondering if anyone else thought they did not so great and were still accepted in the end?

Thx

I interviewed 2 years ago, thought I did great, and I didn't get in... not even waitlisted. Last year, I didn't think it went well at all and I got in (not waitlisted). It's hard to tell how you did, and I found the more I thought about it, the worse I thought I did. Don't stress out too much (easier said than done). IT's just a waiting game now and there's nothing you can do about it! Good luck :)

My mantra has always been that simply being invited for an interview is a success in its own right. To have a resume interesting enough that the school would like to speak to you essentially means you're essentially cut-out for the job. Beyond that it's, as they say, a lot of luck. But the bottom line is that if you're actually getting invited to speak to people, it's simply a matter of time before you get accepted, so even being rejected initially really shouldn't weigh heavily on anyone's shoulders.

My mantra has always been that simply being invited for an interview is a success in its own right. To have a resume interesting enough that the school would like to speak to you essentially means you're essentially cut-out for the job. Beyond that it's, as they say, a lot of luck. But the bottom line is that if you're actually getting invited to speak to people, it's simply a matter of time before you get accepted, so even being rejected initially really shouldn't weigh heavily on anyone's shoulders.

Think of it this way: If you are good enough for an interview at NOSM, and you were in any other province, you'd be in medical school. NOSM interviews about 1/4 of the applicants- most med schools accept about 1/4 of the applicants.

Well the feedback certainly adds perspective (thank you Tango Charlie & Bede).

I am a mature francophone applicant from outside of Ontario but having resided in Ontario for many years a while back.

I know 90% of the class is typically from Ontario and roughly 10% is not as per stats on the website. Which equates to about 6 spots depending on where they count your application as coming from. Even though these are not reserved spots, who knows how many were interviewed from outside the province!

The waiting game is hard. Playing the odds game is even harder.

Luckily I have a thesis to complete due this week to take my mind off things!

So I should be working on my writing up my research findings which I defended last week, rather than obsessing!

As FRC implied, dissecting everything not always the best thing to do.

LadyD

Just occured to me Thunder Bay interviews are going on right now!

Well the feedback certainly adds perspective (thank you Tango Charlie & Bede).

I am a mature francophone applicant from outside of Ontario but having resided in Ontario for many years a while back.

I know 90% of the class is typically from Ontario and roughly 10% is not as per stats on the website. Which equates to about 6 spots depending on where they count your application as coming from. Even though these are not reserved spots, who knows how many were interviewed from outside the province!

The waiting game is hard. Playing the odds game is even harder.

Luckily I have a thesis to complete due this week to take my mind off things!

So I should be working on my writing up my research findings which I defended last week, rather than obsessing!

As FRC implied, dissecting everything not always the best thing to do.

LadyD

Just occured to me Thunder Bay interviews are going on right now!

No--It's Easter, TB interviews are next weekend.

Archived