Premed 101 Forums

Applying to only one school?

Caide

A lot of people will tell you that only applying to one school is a bad plan because you are less likely to get in overall, but if you have solid personal reasons for only applying to one school then it's a good idea for you. I only applied to one school, partly due to only being really competitive at one school and partly for personal reasons. It was the right decision for me, but not necessarily for others.

Casting a wider net is a better strategy, given that with all or nothing you are stacking the odds against yourself form the gitgo. Would you rather medicine or that one particular city and university? If the choice is medicine as I would expect it to be, then apply with a wider net and hope your first choice makes you an offer, if not, you shall have created other options! GL!

That's my plan, due to personal reasons, and at the time I apply (and hopefully get accepted!) uprooting my fiance, and moving away from friends and family, and finding a new place to live, it's just not feasible.

I think that you should do what is right for you based on where you are in your life. If you know you would really only be happy at one school, then why bother applying anywhere else.

I'm only applying to one because it's by far my best shot (and also my first choice). As long as your not all like "I'm applying to one because I know I'll get in to my first choice" :P , then I don't think anyone should look down on you.

It's up to you. Only applying to one will obviously lessen your chances, but that could be ok if you have a strong application and/or don't terribly mind that you might not get in right away.

I'll only be applying to NOSM because, being 26, I can get in with only a 3-year degree, I live literally 1 minute away from the campus in Sudbury, and as a northern Ontario resident for my entire life the mission statement of the school means a lot to me. It would be by far my best shot at getting in. If I didn't have so many circumstances making it the school for me, however, I'd definitely apply to as many schools as possible.

I'd say about 3 in 4 people that I know only apply to one school. I think there are many obvious reasons - financial costs, family and friends considerations, IP advantage (if you're from anywhere but Ontario, you have the IP advantage)

As well, it seems like people on this forum are hardcore, typically apply to several schools... and only make up a minority of ALL med school applicants, and so just because it seems like everyone on premed101 has applied to several schools, I don't think it's reflective of the whole picture.

I only applied to Mac this year due to a great VR but crappy Bio/WS on my MCAT. After I got my MCAT scores back, I had planned on taking a year off after my Masters is finished this year and my big application year (applying to lots o' schools) would be for Sept 2011 start. Wound up getting an interview at Mac so we'll see what happens!! I have another MCAT date scheduled just in case. OH THE MADNESS THAT IS APPLYING TO MED!

I'd say about 3 in 4 people that I know only apply to one school. I think there are many obvious reasons - financial costs, family and friends considerations, IP advantage (if you're from anywhere but Ontario, you have the IP advantage)

As well, it seems like people on this forum are hardcore, typically apply to several schools... and only make up a minority of ALL med school applicants, and so just because it seems like everyone on premed101 has applied to several schools, I don't think it's reflective of the whole picture.

med schools favour in province applicants? what about McGill? I'm from Ontario (Toronto), but I don't think I'd be considered IP even though im doing my undergraduate there (McGill)

med schools favour in province applicants? what about McGill? I'm from Ontario (Toronto), but I don't think I'd be considered IP even though im doing my undergraduate there (McGill)

I just meant in general, for most provinces, like the Western provinces, where they have like 90% of the seats reserved for students who have been residing in the province for X amount of time, whereas Ontario is pretty much anyone's game.

Archived