Premed 101 Forums

How to choose program for 2nd undergrad?

Don't necessarily just go for "pre-med" or "life sciences" type programs. You can also find a degree program that you're interested in AND has a lot of elective requirements.

I made the mistake of doing my first UG in Biology, which I enjoyed, but it was far from my strongest subject and certainly wasn't my favourite. I chose it because I figured it was the best route to medicine (woops, wish I had found these forums when I was younger).

I'm actually going to be taking a second UG in English because I've always enjoyed it, I'm good at it, and there are less than two years worth of required courses. That means I can transfer the maximum amount of credits from my first UG (60 credits at my school), take some electives (they'll be the couple pre-reqs I still need), and still graduate within 2 years:D

Basically what I did was went through all of the programs and looked at the required courses and how many elective credits were needed to complete the degree. From that I could determine how long it would take me. Once I got my list of which programs I could complete in 2 years, I picked the one that was the most appealing to me.

You can't have 2 degrees in sciences.. even if they are completely unrelated... I know it sucks you can take any science course you want (granted you have the prereqs and the space is available). But those are considered non degree. You can only have a second degree if you decide to study arts ( philosphy, english, etc).

I am pretty sure that this is the case for all ontario universities...

ps: that is IF you have decided to convocate...

hmmm...actually I've always been interested in Biology and it was my strongest subject in high school so I probably SHOULD have done a more related degree.

whoa is that right?....

well my first degree was in chemical engineering, so does that count?

I think it depends on the university. Look up second degrees on your university's website and it should have all the rules about it. I know at Queen's you can't have two 3 year Science degrees, or two 3 year arts degrees. Not sure about 4 year degrees though.

I think chemical engineering and bio aren't too closely related so as to stop you from doing a degree in it.

be careful tho dr. henderson! doing a premed degree in English sounds reeeeally scary to me. u are too brave :eek:

haha, English was probably my best subject so I'm not too worried. Its just getting back into it that may be difficult since I'm just finishing up my M.Sc. in Biology... that's a lot of years of science and then switching to arts!

I think I'll find it refreshing! Regardless I have the time and the drive to make a success of it, so I'm pretty excited.

You can't have 2 degrees in sciences.. even if they are completely unrelated... I know it sucks you can take any science course you want (granted you have the prereqs and the space is available). But those are considered non degree. You can only have a second degree if you decide to study arts ( philosphy, english, etc).

I am pretty sure that this is the case for all ontario universities...

ps: that is IF you have decided to convocate...

Uvic is one of the schools that does not care about this. What's strange is that I had the option of taking a second degree in Biology...and my first degree is Microbiology. I thought that was pretty weird since quite a few courses overlap...

Archived