Premed 101 Forums

woooooooow

I just wanted to say I completely and totally sympathize :( Last semester I had three classes where if the prof had simply rounded I would have been up a whole grade as well, and so even though my percent average for my classes that semester was 86.something, my "recorded" percent average was 78.75 (6.75/9). I was devastated.

Are you also at an institution that only records the letter grade, rather than the %? I have complained about this already in the UBC section of the forums ( :P ), but I just can't understand why all schools don't simply keep percentages on record since require them for calculating the letter grade anyway!

Depending on the prof, I would attempt face to face negotiation. Most prof's usually bump it up. I talked to one yesterday and she said she bumps up marks that are on the margin of GPA changes and such.

I got the marks of two courses altered by talking. I only need an increase of 0.1% though so that might have helped.

You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Vince Vaughn can be sympathetical!

lol

Now that I re-read my post, I realized that I wrote like a douche. It was unintentional though :cool:

To the OP, you should talk to the professors and see if he can bump up your mark to A- from B+ and A from A- (Since it's only like 0.5 to 1).

Although I agree he should go talk to a prof about it, I wouldn't necessarily say he has nothing to lose.

In one of my class examples, where I was 'so close' (ie within acceptable rounding for the grade up) I had a prof remark a midterm which was only handed back a week before the final (we have two weeks to request a remark) and it was not a significant enough change to pull my grade up. I had the second half of the class with this prof after Christmas and in the first class she goes through some comical slides about a hot female student trying to seduce her professor to round her grade up, and concludes with some sort of statement about how she experiences people trying to get their marks up too (cue class laughter). Although there was no direct reference to my situation I was still rather horrified and embarrassed, because it was obvious she was referring to students from the previous semester who had tried to argue a grade.

I ended up dropping the B portion of the class, but will have to take it with her at a later date. I'm still nervous/afraid that she thinks less of me and have not felt comfortable going to her office hours since (she is the undergraduate advisor for my faculty).

You are right 0.4 is a huge jump. I guess I am less concerned by how the prof felt and more with the prospect that her bias against me will influence my grade when I take the second half of the course. My story was more of a caution to the OP to be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you; if he is taking another class (especially a class with subjective marking) with a prof, tread carefully.

Although I agree he should go talk to a prof about it, I wouldn't necessarily say he has nothing to lose.

In one of my class examples, where I was 'so close' (ie within acceptable rounding for the grade up) I had a prof remark a midterm which was only handed back a week before the final (we have two weeks to request a remark) and it was not a significant enough change to pull my grade up. I had the second half of the class with this prof after Christmas and in the first class she goes through some comical slides about a hot female student trying to seduce her professor to round her grade up, and concludes with some sort of statement about how she experiences people trying to get their marks up too (cue class laughter). Although there was no direct reference to my situation I was still rather horrified and embarrassed, because it was obvious she was referring to students from the previous semester who had tried to argue a grade.

I ended up dropping the B portion of the class, but will have to take it with her at a later date. I'm still nervous/afraid that she thinks less of me and have not felt comfortable going to her office hours since (she is the undergraduate advisor for my faculty).

So in summary, you're a hot female student. Good to know. ;)

Sometimes profs can be reasonable, sometimes they aren't. I've found myself in both situations, and I actually posted a letter of appeals that I wrote for a grade change a few months ago. Best of luck in this matter! (you're going to need it).

I suppose I'm lucky, the few times I've needed a bump, I've had a reasonable prof do it for me. One time I calculated my grade and it ended at like a 83.7. Rounded automatically to 84, and then all marks 1% away were automatically bumped.

That was a good day.

I suppose I'm lucky, the few times I've needed a bump, I've had a reasonable prof do it for me. One time I calculated my grade and it ended at like a 83.7. Rounded automatically to 84, and then all marks 1% away were automatically bumped.

That was a good day.

Holy ****! At UofT? I can't believe this!

Just keep in mind that if you get an exam or paper re-marked, the prof will likely regrade the whole thing (unless there was an obvious marking error like a miscalculation), so your mark could go down.

This is definitely a possibility.

I've seen marks go for essays and exams from A to B after remarking.

Holy ****! At UofT? I can't believe this!

That was a marvelous day HBP!

Yeah, I was shocked.

A worse day (at UofT) was when the class got a 4 percent reduction ON OUR FINAL GRADES in a full year course.

92->88 :(

Though, that's nowhere near as bad as a 80->76 that some people got...

I once managed to get myself a 61 on a plant development midterm. Don't even ask how that happened, the class average was about 90 :confused: although, I'm sure it had something to do with my inability to distinguish roots from shoots. Anyway, I busted my ass off for the rest of the semester and did really well on the rest of the tests and the labs, and managed to end up with an 84.4. This is the only time I ever did it, but I went to the instructor to plead my case about getting a bump up to an 84.5 (really, that's all I wanted, 0.1). I even tried to show her the dramatic upward trend in my marks, but nope she was having none of it. Every time I see that A- on my transcript it makes me sad inside, stupid plants.

Archived