Premed 101 Forums

Activities Score

No one knows...

I think it not only depends on your activities, but how you describe them, espcially the top 5 with impact statements.

And I also think it is better to have a few long term commitments that a bunch of short one time things (but that is just my opinion, not from any official source..)

I too am expecting my activities to be my highest scoring section and am curious to find out if it will be...

mine was lower than expected too. I was short on clinical related activities. I've heard though that Calgary marks pretty tough on this section and at times, is inconsistent (depending on who you get as reviewer(s) for example).

Just for reference does anyone know what is considered a "good" score in this section? Like is a 25 actually acheivable or is anything over 20 considered pretty decent...? It seems like a lot of people are getting lower marks than they expected.

Thanks

To be honest, I'm not sure! The first time I applied I scored a 14/25, and I have pretty extensive/diverse/long term ECs. I spent some more time writing them up this year, and added some clinical research experience...scored 18/25. Maybe if I was an olympic athlete as well I could have scored above 20... ;)

Just for reference does anyone know what is considered a "good" score in this section? Like is a 25 actually acheivable or is anything over 20 considered pretty decent...? It seems like a lot of people are getting lower marks than they expected.

Thanks

Anything close to or over 20 is very very good. I think the average is likely around 14-15.......thats just a total guess on my part though from scores i've seen on this forum.

I went from almost 18 last year to a 14 something this year...so I don't see any rhyme or reason behind the scoring system.

wow...sorry to hear. its tough without feedback too. Thats the worst part. If we knew what to do better, we woulda done it the first time around. So, it makes banking on improvements for next year a risky proposition. I honestly saw my score and thought someone must have entered it wrong into the system - but then again, even if this did happen, what can you do?

Best of luck people

Okay coming back to my post again. Thanks for the input everyone.

My understanding of this now, after talking to a few people around campus ( I'm a grad student at U of C ) who have applied multiple years and seen different scores in this is area, is that the best factor we have control over is the essay descriptions of the top five activities.

This is just hearsay but my understanding is that in the top five they want a variety of longer term activities that show growth and experience. Quality of the writing is a big factor.

Good luck for everyone applying again

Okay coming back to my post again. Thanks for the input everyone.

My understanding of this now, after talking to a few people around campus ( I'm a grad student at U of C ) who have applied multiple years and seen different scores in this is area, is that the best factor we have control over is the essay descriptions of the top five activities.

This is just hearsay but my understanding is that in the top five they want a variety of longer term activities that show growth and experience. Quality of the writing is a big factor.

Good luck for everyone applying again

I am still not sure how long term, continuing, and diverse activities can be so significantly different from year to year and result in the score decrease that I saw. Oh well, luck of the draw I guess!

Thanks for your input :)

Archived