Premed 101 Forums

No More Provisional Acceptance

At my info session at Ottawa today, Chantal Renaud said at the last meeting of the medical schools (Ontario ones) that they agreed to ditch provisional acceptances this year.

So this year, if you get an acceptance and are waitlisted at your top schools.... there's no holding out. You could refuse the offer if you were ever so crazy.... but no waiting around for a couple weeks. All acceptances are firm.

I imagine that'll make most of the waitlist movement happen quickly this year.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone confirm the (in)validity of this?

It seems like all official OMSAS documents say that provisional becomes firm on June 13.

I don't know a more official source.... this is was I got from someone in the Ottawa admissions office.

I would call OMSAS or another admissions office if you want to hear it directly.

So....can't they just wait before accepting their seat then? Don't they still have 2 weeks to reply to the offer?

2 weeks to reply.... but initial waitlist movement doesn't start until those 2 weeks are up... or at least that's the way it was in the past.

with the provisional acceptance, it was closer to 4 weeks allowing you to try at least a little to wait on waitlists for a better offer.

2 weeks to reply.... but initial waitlist movement doesn't start until those 2 weeks are up... or at least that's the way it was in the past.

with the provisional acceptance, it was closer to 4 weeks allowing you to try at least a little to wait on waitlists for a better offer.

So, previously, people were permitted to accept seats and later decline? I thought that once you accepted a seat with OMSAS it automatically declines all other offers.

This change was also confirmed on the u of t admissions blog in the comments section...

My take: its a pretty terrible development. Schools should want the best students to attend them - instituting this policy favors poorer applicants, who have no acceptances, over the better ones who have acceptances at their lower choices but not the top one. Yes, I know, medicine is a privilege....blah blah blah...all the schools are great...blah blah blah. The fact remains that most of us have a clear cut top choice and often the reasons are personal and non-academic. Thus the suckage.

This change was also confirmed on the u of t admissions blog in the comments section...

My take: its a pretty terrible development. Schools should want the best students to attend them - instituting this policy favors poorer applicants, who have no acceptances, over the better ones who have acceptances at their lower choices but not the top one. Yes, I know, medicine is a privilege....blah blah blah...all the schools are great...blah blah blah. The fact remains that most of us have a clear cut top choice and often the reasons are personal and non-academic. Thus the suckage.

Mind if I ask what your clear cut top choice is and why?

I've interviewed at all the southern ont schools and can't see any clear cut school that's best so far. And i've thought about it a lot.

Mind if I ask what your clear cut top choice is and why?

I've interviewed at all the southern ont schools and can't see any clear cut school that's best so far. And i've thought about it a lot.

medicant just said non-academic personal factors (i.e. family, friends, relationships).

I wonder if the schools will decide to send out more initial acceptances than normal (i.e. class size + a highly likely portion of normal waitlist movement [like 20-30 at bigger schools]) in order to secure more acceptances from their top choice of candidates. You would think they would take some measures to counter the effects this could have on their chances of having their top candidates matriculate into their school... or maybe they'd just rather go on summer vacation sooner :P

I wonder if the schools will decide to send out more initial acceptances than normal (i.e. class size + a highly likely portion of normal waitlist movement [like 20-30 at bigger schools]) in order to secure more acceptances from their top choice of candidates. You would think they would take some measures to counter the effects this could have on their chances of having their top candidates matriculate into their school... or maybe they'd just rather go on summer vacation sooner :P

I wish they did this too, but just imagine the consequences of overaccepting!

Looks like there's going to be two huge days this year. May 13 and May 27...

Now that I think about it, if you don't get an acceptance by the second date, then what reason would there be for waitlists to move? None, right? i.e. if you don't get accepted two weeks after the initial date... you're done for this cycle?

Now that I think about it, if you don't get an acceptance by the second date, then what reason would there be for waitlists to move? None, right? i.e. if you don't get accepted two weeks after the initial date... you're done for this cycle?

there will still be some OOP movement. This is just an agreement between OMSAS schools....

But you're right, the majority of waitlist movement should happen very quickly.

Well, people could who didn't get an initial invite could get multiple offers on the second date leaving some spots open once they choose. But ya... you'd expect the majority of the spots should fill up within the first 2 rounds unless there is huge overlap in some schools' initial acceptance pool and wait list order...

Yes, but just because ppl get their "lower" choice as a first offer, doesn't mean they'll accept right away and cutoff their chances. They can still wait throughout the two week period to see if they get a "better" offer and then decline.

How can they get another offer WITHIN the 2 week period after May 13? Think about it.

Archived