Premed 101 Forums

Gay Doctors

I thought Natives were the only ones who could play the race card. What about Latinos, Blacks, Asians...?

And I guess I kind of thought all schools would be gay friendly, since this a gay friendly country.

Natives are the only ones who can benefit from affirmative action in the Canadian admission process. Everyone else is in the same pool. There is no formal policy that gives preference to ethnic/religious/sexual minorities. Nevertheless, adcom does encourage diversity among its students. How they go about achieving this, is unknown. Thus far, I haven't read anything about Latinos being under represented in medicine in this country, although I do realize this is the case in the U.S. I think for latinos, the difficulty is that some will pass for other ethnicities that aren't underrepresented in the Canadian medical field. Since we do not flag our race in the application process, there's no way of denoting who is what? I also wouldn't recommend that people make mention of of their race on paper, since your application may be reviewed by a hate monger. Once your at the interview though, who is what becomes more obvious to adcom. But this is all speculation so be CAREFUL. The more I think about it, I wonder how this diversity mission works with MMI. To avoid pulling my hair out, I think I'd say go into the interview prepared, know what role your intersectionality will play in your professional career. If it comes up your ready if not cool. If their is such a covert diversity policy does who should benefit from it will whether or not they discuss it at the interview. Also, I've operationalized diversity to only represent race, religion and sexual orientation, yet; it should also be inclusive of socio-economic status, and demographics....so I've answered my own question by talking to myself!hahaha...plus I just realized that I know who can formally answer this question..sorry folks

Here's some stuff I found on the net that may add to this discussion

utmj.org/ojs/index.php/UTMJ/article/viewFile/438/420

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12002979

________

Marijuana vaporizer

Archived