Premed 101 Forums

American taking prereqs at the U of M: Questions

Hi,

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I am a US citizen, and a Minnesota resident. I am strongly leaning towards attending the U of Manitoba for my prereqs because I get Canadian tuition there through the MN-Manitoba reciprocity agreement (I have a BA already, I am a career-changer).

I did a quick search but couldn't find much on what I want to know. I'm interested in knowing:

1) Did anyone take science in the summer at Manitoba? I'm planning on taking bio and general chem. Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated, it sounds intense--1 month for each semester of these courses!

2) Has anyone applied to US medical school after doing prereqs at the U of Manitoba? Was everything ok?

3) I'm not sure if I should be taking the calculus based physics or the other one (General Physics) offered at U of M--my advisor thinks the non-calc based is fine since the course catalogue says its for pre-health majors. Thoughts?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, or tips on MCAT prep courses in Winnipeg, etc. I visited the U of M this week and thought it was great!

Elizabeth

Hi,

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I am a US citizen, and a Minnesota resident. I am strongly leaning towards attending the U of Manitoba for my prereqs because I get Canadian tuition there through the MN-Manitoba reciprocity agreement (I have a BA already, I am a career-changer).

I did a quick search but couldn't find much on what I want to know. I'm interested in knowing:

1) Did anyone take science in the summer at Manitoba? I'm planning on taking bio and general chem. Any thoughts/tips would be appreciated, it sounds intense--1 month for each semester of these courses!

2) Has anyone applied to US medical school after doing prereqs at the U of Manitoba? Was everything ok?

3) I'm not sure if I should be taking the calculus based physics or the other one (General Physics) offered at U of M--my advisor thinks the non-calc based is fine since the course catalogue says its for pre-health majors. Thoughts?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, or tips on MCAT prep courses in Winnipeg, etc. I visited the U of M this week and thought it was great!

Elizabeth

If I had gotten into a certain school in the US, I would've had to do the bio prereq as they didn't accept my school's. I was looking into U of M for the summer session and geez, it looks pretty intense to compress the courses like that. Nonetheless, from my experience Biol 1020/1030 should work (my sister took Biol 1020/1030 so I've come to know it is a general enough bio as some schools look for). As long as a course is indicated as general or intro bio as it is at the U of M, that should fly at all the schools. With physics, I would imagine the same thing. Calc based physics is probably geared more towards math students, so taking the non-calc Phys 1020M/1030M one should work. Chem of course should be 1300/1310.

Make sure you take it easy though and not overload yourself too much. It will be the summer after all, and these courses will require more attention because of the timeline. MCAT prep may not be the best to do in the summer if you are just starting to learn the science concepts.

• 9 months later...

Archived