Premed 101 Forums

interview nods

I hear people talking about getting positive responses to their answers in med school interviews, such as interviewers nodding when they answer the question... but is this not extremely common? Whenever I am answering an ethical question or something, once I look at the interviewer and say something, they always seem to be nodding. That's not to say that my answers are amazing or anything... but isn't nodding just something a lot of interviewers do reflexively? That's what it seems like to me...

I hear people talking about getting positive responses to their answers in med school interviews, such as interviewers nodding when they answer the question... but is this not extremely common? Whenever I am answering an ethical question or something, once I look at the interviewer and say something, they always seem to be nodding. That's not to say that my answers are amazing or anything... but isn't nodding just something a lot of interviewers do reflexively? That's what it seems like to me...

It's definitely something I wouldn't read into. Some people do it because they're told to do it, some do it reflexively, some do it to make the interviewee feel more comfortable, and some do it because they are legitimately intrigued. I wouldn't put too much value on it :)

I think it is fairly common, but I did have an interview where I got nothing at all.... just absolute blank stares. So when I had that same schools interview a second time and they were neutral but at least nodding along, it made me feel a lot more comfortable.

If the interviewers start high fiveing and doing fist pumps you know you got some magic happening.

Lol, one of the people I was talking to pre-interview had said he received a high five from an interviewer at an early interview.

You have to like your odds if that is the case.

Agreed. I think most of the time the head nods are just to acknowledge what you are saying. You know, good listening skills and all that.

its the nod + smile that counts. Of course, if your totally off base that smile could be one of those "this applicant sure is amusing" smiles. When i got the nod and smile i just hammered whatever point i was talking about even more.

its the nod + smile that counts. Of course, if your totally off base that smile could be one of those "this applicant sure is amusing" smiles. When i got the nod and smile i just hammered whatever point i was talking about even more.

Replace "talking" with "probing" and that would make some pretty good sex advice. :P

Archived