Premed 101 Forums

cda interview

^ hah i was thinking the same thing, but also consider that it's exam time and the forum really dies down post-DAT and waiting for interviews...

- this is my first time interviewing as well, but general advice would be to be confident yet not cocky, humble yet not shy, enthusiastic yet not wild, and optimistic yet not complacent...never lie and above all else, be yourself. they have interviewed thousands of applicants and can see well-through a fake guise...some people have lied before big time in interviews and have actually gotten in (i have spoken directly with these people) and have tried to convince me to lie as well, but do not do it; it's a stupid risk to take...you must recall stories and insight from your past which will make a genuine and honest interview. also, always focus on the positives, and if you want to point out a flaw or negative in yourself, always end with off on a high, positive note...one more thing, prepare your answers but don't be a robot...good luck!

Hi there! I attended 2 interviews and was accepted into one school and is waiting on the other (fingers crossed!). I'm a third year student, so I had NO PREVIOUS experience with interviews at all, not even a job interview! I think the best thing to do is to get hold of a dental student and talk to them about their interview experience. All the questions are situational questions, or past experience questions, so it is unlikely that they ask something like "why dentistry, tell me about your self etc". I would suggest coming up with a list of past experiences that demonstrates your maturity, problem solving skills, communication skills, conflict resolution skills etc. Then practice molding these experiences so they apply to a wide range of questions asked. Also, it really helps to practice with a few people whom you're not too familiar with (ie not your best friend, because there won't be enough intimidation. A professor would be great!)

Most importantly, be yourself (i know this has been said billions of times) and don't be overly confident/pompous/righteous! Most of the questions are designed to let the interviewer learn about your values, morals, interpersonal skills etc, so if you come across as having no faults or no weaknesses, it will seem really fake to the interviewers. Remember, these people know NOTHING about you. They don't have your application or grades. Sometimes they don't even know your name!

Lastly, try to relax. Being a little nervous is okay, but if you're freaking out, it really doesn't help, since most of the time you're going to have to think on the spot.

Hope this helped! PM me if you have other questions.

Archived