Premed 101 Forums

statistics in med school

Very briefly and on a cursory level... like... 3-4 hours worth in my entire 1.5 years so far.

If you know the difference between a mean, median and mode, alpha and beta errors and the difference between statistical and clinical significance, as well as some of the common research studies (prospective vs retrospective, cross-sectional vs cohort, randomized control trials, etc.) you'll pretty much have passed.

we have a course on evidence based medicine, 1 hour lecture, 2 hrs discussion * like 8 weeks or so... if u have a background in research methods it's actually a joke... i don't think i've been to a single class... the discussion parts good, i like it, pretty cool and interactive

Very briefly and on a cursory level... like... 3-4 hours worth in my entire 1.5 years so far.

If you know the difference between a mean, median and mode, alpha and beta errors and the difference between statistical and clinical significance, as well as some of the common research studies (prospective vs retrospective, cross-sectional vs cohort, randomized control trials, etc.) you'll pretty much have passed.

As someone who teaches stats to med students, I feel like they need more exposure. The stats classes in medical school are fairly basic. For some students its a joke because they already have a foundation but others stare at them like they are hieroglyphics. If you get involved in research, then you might need to further your statistical knowledge or incorporate funding for a bio-statistician in your grant proposals. :P

we have a course on evidence based medicine, 1 hour lecture, 2 hrs discussion * like 8 weeks or so... if u have a background in research methods it's actually a joke... i don't think i've been to a single class... the discussion parts good, i like it, pretty cool and interactive

I took an undergrad stats course and understand absolutely nothing. Then again, I get nauseated just thinking about research. I'm pretty sure that my inability to understand any of that statistical lingo is my brain's subconscious attempt to scream "don't ever do research again! it's horrible!":p

Still, definitely useful to an extent, more than INTD, that's for sure.

what? i /3 INTD

I took an undergrad stats course and understand absolutely nothing. Then again, I get nauseated just thinking about research. I'm pretty sure that my inability to understand any of that statistical lingo is my brain's subconscious attempt to scream "don't ever do research again! it's horrible!":p

Still, definitely useful to an extent, more than INTD, that's for sure.

Archived