Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers

I've heard that NOSM contacts your verifiers once they have the preliminary list of acceptances made (including those on the waitlist). Which leads me to think, is having your verifiers contacted a surefire way to know you're either accepted or on the waiting list? May 15 couldn't come sooner!

My verifiers were contacted both years I applied, and the first year I wasn't even waitlisted... so it means nothing (unless maybe someone said something bad about me!!!) But I've heard this happen to many people before. If you check past threads you can see us all going crazy about our verifiers being contacted. Anyway, hope this didn't discourage you! There's nothing you can do now but wait! Good luck :)

I believe they just randomly pick a few from the verifiers list to call.

I have also heard of verifiers being called with no offer and no wait list.

Plus, others on here have stated they were offered a spot and none of their verifiers said they were contacted.

Seems more random than anything - at least on this end - I'm sure they have a some system.

• 3 weeks later...

Full credit goes to Raider who put it up on a French school site. :P

I am sharing his/her research skills with the English speaking comunity. The reason for the time, as I understand it, is b/c that is when the French speaking med schools will post acceptances or otherwise on our indiividual internet accounts (although, I believe, one of the schools will advise us by email the morning of the 14th).

This is my explanation. :)

You do that through OMSAS.

Hey,

I looked into this today because when I found the actual messaging tool, they list items for changing authorized contacts (alternative individuals who can get information about your application on your behalf) or referees, but NOT for verifiers.

When speaking to OMSAS support, they advised me to email them with the update of my verifier.

I thought anyone might like to know in case they have updates also.

I was unsure because it was ambiguous and had been so many months since scouring the application inside and out!!

The email for verifier updates is:

omsas <omsas@ouac.on.ca>

The person coordinating medical application updates is Michelle. :)

Update:

Michelle got back to me and said that the verifiers' contact info can't be updated after the application is submitted and that if the school tried to contact that person and can't reach them, they will have to contact the applicant for the new info.

As far as I am concerned, I just hope they take the time if necessary since they can easily move on to another applicant,you know?

One of my verifiers was contacted yesterday. Not sure what that means, really. I don't know if any were contacted last year, and I was good-waitlisted. That said - I still think it's a random sampling from among the people they interview. Or if I'm lucky - from the people who are making the top 100 or so? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm not actually in contact with most of my verifiers--many of them only meet with me once a month for boards, so I won't actually find out until after the "date".

If they can't contact one of your verifiers, they may just attempt another one on your list.

One of my verifiers was contacted yesterday. Not sure what that means, really. I don't know if any were contacted last year, and I was good-waitlisted. That said - I still think it's a random sampling from among the people they interview. Or if I'm lucky - from the people who are making the top 100 or so? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Do you know what they said?

Did they just say: "so and so has applied to med school and claims she did such and such and that you would know whether this is true or not? Please confirm? "

Like CNussey, I am not in touch with most of mine either. Many are like witnesses, you know?

I spoke with my verifier today, and she told me that the caller basically just said that they were doing an activity check, indicated that I had given information about a certain volunteer activity, and asked her a few brief questions about it. Things like: what duties were involved, how much time did I put in, etc. It was apparently quite brief. Luckily for me, this verifier was also one of my reference letter writers (though this didn't come up in the conversation) and added some enthusiastic praise.

Archived