Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to transfer from Music to Science?

Hi everyone, I've gotten accepted into the life sciences, engineering science, and music program at U of T, and i really enjoy playing music, but i also love science and maths as well. I've heard from many that it matters not what undergrad you do when applying for med school as long as you do well on the MCAT and meet the requirements, but I'm just wondering if anyone has either been in my situation or has known of anyone in this situation? If i do choose to do music, would it be possible to change faculties during second year if i feel i need to?

Thanks a lot!

Possibly, but its hard, and from what I can tell from my buddies in music (GO VIC!), its hard to get good grades in music, so if you are confident that you will be fine (because of musical talent or super powerful ecs), I say go for it! you will have fun. On the other hand, would it be possible to do a traditional science degree and have a few music courses on the side?

Hi everyone, I've gotten accepted into the life sciences, engineering science, and music program at U of T, and i really enjoy playing music, but i also love science and maths as well. I've heard from many that it matters not what undergrad you do when applying for med school as long as you do well on the MCAT and meet the requirements, but I'm just wondering if anyone has either been in my situation or has known of anyone in this situation? If i do choose to do music, would it be possible to change faculties during second year if i feel i need to?

Thanks a lot!

Usually if you have a B average (or more) you can pretty easily shift around departments at universities. Below that it still is often possible. I know people at guelph, waterloo, and toronto who bounced all over the place :)

Usually if you have a B average (or more) you can pretty easily shift around departments at universities. Below that it still is often possible. I know people at guelph, waterloo, and toronto who bounced all over the place :)

this is true, but be careful.. I have heard of students who go to york in first year, pull off a 4.0, and then transfer into U of T wanting to get similar grades in a more prestigious sounding institution. And when they got destroyed in their second year and wanted to transfer back to york, the school wouldnt take them back. SO BE CAREFUL when transferring, even between faculties!

I see... yea, i've heard that it's quite hard to get high marks in music, and that it's actually easier to get higher marks in sciences. Kind of hard to believe, but i come from a high school where the music teacher gives out high 90s ;)

How do you guys find sciences at U of T? How many people can actually pull off that 90?

How do you guys find sciences at U of T? How many people can actually pull off that 90?

There are many people on this forum who will speak to the difficulty of obtaining at 4.0 from UofT. Realistically, it isn't easy anywhere to obtain an average above 90. You will need to put in long hours of study and work hard no matter what you do, so choose something you will enjoy studying.

I see... yea, i've heard that it's quite hard to get high marks in music, and that it's actually easier to get higher marks in sciences. Kind of hard to believe, but i come from a high school where the music teacher gives out high 90s ;)

If you know your introductory sciences down pack and are willing to put in a lot of work. It's possible. I actually found senior year courses way easier to pull high grades. Smaller classes, more one-on-one interaction with profs and class averages are generally in the mid-high 70s. So if you're above avg. you should pull an 85. Plus, people really down play how social networks really help to inflate some of our grades. I can't tell you how much it helps when you get an old exam? Even if the prof ends up changing the exam, just knowing how to approach his/her questions is really helpful. Certain groups pass down old-midterms and exams. These people are probably smart on their own, but benefit GREATLY from these resources. This is an unfounded statement, but I'd say the amount of people who actually earn 85+ without assistance is pretty slim in university. Find a group of keeners in first year, interact with 2nd year students and you should be golden!

Sorry for breaking the seal folks!

edit: the worst thing you can do is to use those old tests as a cruch. ALWAYS study your gluteus maximus off. For five years a science prof was recycling the same old MCQ. Barely know one in the class studied...and what do you know, the prof decided to change the exam. Class avg. was in the 30s.

________

Ford windsor engine specifications

If you know your introductory sciences down pack and are willing to put in a lot of work. It's possible. I actually found senior year courses way easier to pull high grades. Smaller classes, more one-on-one interaction with profs and class averages are generally in the mid-high 70s. So if you're above avg. you should pull an 85. Plus, people really down play how social networks really help to inflate some of our grades. I can't tell you how much it helps when you get an old exam? Even if the prof ends up changing the exam, just knowing how to approach his/her questions is really helpful. Certain groups pass down old-midterms and exams. These people are probably smart on their own, but benefit GREATLY from these resources. This is an unfounded statement, but I'd say the amount of people who actually earn 85+ without assistance is pretty slim in university. Find a group of keeners in first year, interact with 2nd year students and you should be golden!

Sorry for breaking the seal folks!

edit: the worst thing you can do is to use those old tests as a cruch. ALWAYS study your gluteus maximus off. For five years a science prof was recycling the same old MCQ. Barely know one in the class studied...and what do you know, the prof decided to change the exam. Class avg. was in the 30s.

We had a different incident, where the prof accidentally released basically the SAME exam as the real one for practice... that was a good day, even if the grades had to be "adjusted" in the end

• 2 months later...

If music is what you love then follow your heart because you will prob not het another chance to really concentrate on it in the future. As for marks... Yes humanities depart is hard to get 99% plus some music courses

are very subjective. However that doesn't mean that being in sci your marks will all be very very high. It really depends on you. The reason that I have so much confidence in replying this MSG is because I'm in music. I'm finishing up next year and staying 5th yr to finish second degree in science. My grades are not bad but they are not all 95 either. I have high grades in both music n sci. So it really depends on where your pssion lies.

Whatever you choose you can do both. If you choose to major in science then take applied lessons and various music courses w the music depart at the Uni. If you choose muisc then you are going to have to take the med pre reqs anyways.

Archived