Premed 101 Forums

MMI standard interview station

Nixon

For the standard interview station, is there a specific question you're being asked? For example, is the prompt on the door ''Why do you wanna be a physician?'' or any other specific question, or is it only written ''Standard Interview'' ??

For the standard interview station, is there a specific question you're being asked? For example, is the prompt on the door ''Why do you wanna be a physician?'' or any other specific question, or is it only written ''Standard Interview'' ??

QUESTIONS AT STANDARD INTERVIEW FOR MED SCHOOL ACCEPTANCE

1. Why do you want to be a doctor?

2. What are your 2 best points?

3. What are your 2 weakest points?

4. What do you think will be your greatest challenge in completing med school

or learning how to be a doctor?

5. In your view, what is the most pressing problem facing medicine today?

6. How will you pay for med school?

7. If you could do anything different in your education, what would it be?

8. Where else are you applying?

9. Have you been accepted anywhere?

10. What is your first choice?

11. Tell me about yourself.

12. How did you get here?

13. Why would you be a good doctor?

14. What are your strengths?

15. What do you feel are the most important qualities in being a good doctor?

16. What are your hobbies?

17. Are you a leader or a follower? Why?

18. What exposure have you had to the medical profession?

19. Discuss your clinical experiences.

20. Discuss your volunteer work.

21. What do you think you will like most about medicine?

22. What do you think you will like least about medicine?

23. Expect questions about what you think about ethics and healthcare

(e.g., abortion, cloning, euthanasia, purchasing body parts for transplant, etc)

24. Be prepared to discuss weaknesses and strengths of the healthcare system.

25. How are you a match for our med school?

26. Would you perform abortions as a doctor? Under what conditions?

27. What are 3 things you want to change about yourself?

28. How would you describe the relationship between science and medicine?

29. Which family member or mentor has influenced your life so far and why?

30. What are your specific goals in medicine?

31. What do you intend to gain from a medical education?

32. What steps have you taken to acquaint yourself with what a physician does?

33. There are 1,000 applicants as qualified as you. Why should we pick you?

34. What do you think about euthanasia?

35. What do you think is the most pressing issue in medicine today?

36. Do you think a physician should tell a patient he has 8 months to live?

37. What will you do if you don’t get into medicine?

38. What are your positive qualities and what are your shortcomings?

39. What is your relationship with your family?

40. Describe your personality.

41. What are the best and worst things that ever happened to you?

42. What do you see yourself doing in medicine in 10 or 15 years from now?

43. Is medicine a rewarding experience? Why?

44. If your best friends were to describe you, what would they say?

45. What do you think about (some current event)?

46. If I’m to talk to the Admissions Committee tomorrow, why should I tell them to to let you in?

47. What are some of the things you will have to give up as a doctor?

48. Would you share your religious beliefs with your patients?

49. How do you help people who don’t want to be helped?

50. In what field do you think the next major advancement in medicine will come?

51. Why didn’t you go into social work if you like working with people?

52. Would you prefer to provide less effective medicine to more people or more effective medicine to less people?

53. Who is your hero and why?

54. How can you tell if someone is truly compassionate?

55. What scares you the most about our medical school?

56. Why did you apply here?

57. What is your first school choice?

58. Why choose medicine over some other career in health?

59. What field of medicine interests you the most?

60. What has been your biggest failure and how did you handle it?

61. How do you feel about animal research?

62. How do you work under pressure? Give an example.

63. What have you learned from your failures? Give examples.

64. What have you done that shows initiative? What did you gain from that experience? How were you most/least satisfied with that endeavour?

65. Why study medicine when you have so many talents?

66. What is the biggest problem facing medicine?

67. What is the most important development in the world in the last 25 years?

68. What’s your “cause”?

69. What are you passionate about?

70. How do you respond to criticism? Describe a situation where your work was criticized. What was your immediate reaction to the situation?

71. What type of impression do you feel you’ve left me in this interview?

72. Who should definitely not be cloned?

73. What is the hardest question you’ve been asked at any interview?

74. If you were a car, what kind of car would you be and why?

75. Do you think doctors should lie to patients?

76. If man colonized the moon and you were chosen to direct the first lunar hospital, what would be your 3 most important priorities for that hospital?

77. If my grandmother walked into your practice and told you that she was ill because she had a hex placed on her, what would you tell her and how?

78. What would you do if you got in everywhere and what would you do if you got in nowhere?

79. Tell me about yourself.

80. What is the one thing that distinguishes you from other candidates?

81. Describe a situation where you felt like a fish out of water.

82. So you like helping others, why not be a policeman?

83. What are the negative aspects of being a doctor?

84. Are you a friendly person?

85. How will your weaknesses play a role in medicine?

86. How do you deal with adversity?

87. What is the biggest thing you have overcome in life?

88. How do you cope with grief?

89. Who has been the most influencial in your life? How? What has been the effect?

90. What did you most dislike about undergraduate studies?

91. I heard that you want to go into medicine for the money, please comment.

92. What science classes did you dislike the most?

93. What effect does and will science have upon medicine?

94. What experience have you had working with people?

95. What do you know about our school and program?

96. Give a specific medical scenario, how would you treat the patient?

97. What are some current controversial areas of medicine? What are your thoughts?

98. What makes a good physician?

99. Your patient is terminally ill, looks at you with hope, what do you tell him?

100. How might you calm a nervous patient?

101. What would you do if a superior doctor gave you an order that you know will harm the patient?

102. Your supervising physician comes to work drunk, what do you do?

103. Give me an example of how you will handle a stressful situation.

104. How do you deal with a patient who treats you badly?

105. Tell me about the last time you felt anger on the job.

106. What qualities do patients appreciate in doctors? Colleagues?

107. Why is research important? What are the benefits of research?

108. What would you do if you caught your roommate cheating on his med school application?

109. What do you think of the priority system for organ recipients? And also the system for allocating money for medicine?

110. If somebody was writing a book about you in 15 years, what would you want to be included in this book?

111. Do you think there should be mandatory HIV testing for couples wanting to be married?

112. Discuss a book you have recently read for pleasure. Why does this book iInterest you?

113. How do you think your role as a physician fits in with your role as a

member of the community?

114. Would you practice in the inner city? What do think happens to people who practice there (attitude, changes, etc)?

115. If there was an accident on the highway, would you stop and help the victims, knowing that doing so might lead to a malpractice claim against

you?

Absolutely not. :D You asked if there was any specific question that may be thrown at you and as there will be "questions' as a helpful future classmate :) I wanted to give you a head's up at what they could throw at you at the MEM. I am comfortable with any question they could conceivably ask, but if I need time, I will say 'en anglais s.v.p.' :eek:

If you would like to memorize potential Answers, just let me know which ones and how many minutes you would like to speak for each answer. :)

Bonne Chance mon vieux!

F_d, just some friendly advice :) .... if you`re doing the MEMFI I would not recommend asking if you can answer in English... I would imagine that these francophone universities would rather you struggling with your answer in French than opting to use English instead (you know, some English-French hatred is always possible in Quebec...).

This is just my 2 cents....of course you may do whatever you find is best for you! Good luck :D

F_d, just some friendly advice :) .... if you`re doing the MEMFI I would not recommend asking if you can answer in English... I would imagine that these francophone universities would rather you struggling with your answer in French than opting to use English instead (you know, some English-French hatred is always possible in Quebec...).

This is just my 2 cents....of course you may do whatever you find is best for you! Good luck :D

alanine, I sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom. I aplogize that I was joking with that remark and I did not follow protocol by also saying "jk" or "lol".

Yes, I realize that I would be doing myself no favours with such an approach and if you listen at the door, you will hear me occasionally struggling. My sister studied law at UDM and did not say a word during her first year. She did fine in exams, took an international semester in Paris, she no longer speaks Englsh, rather Frenglish, combining both languages, she now prefers French and she dreams in French! I hope to follow in her footsteps, to go to UDM, although the texts, I understand, are in English, whereas in law, they are virtually all French.

Thank you.

alanine, I sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom. I aplogize that I was joking with that remark and I did not follow protocol by also saying "jk" or "lol".

Yes, I realize that I would be doing myself no favours with such an approach and if you listen at the door, you will hear me occasionally struggling. My sister studied law at UDM and did not say a word during her first year. She did fine in exams, took an international semester in Paris, she no longer speaks Englsh, rather Frenglish, combining both languages, she now prefers French and she dreams in French! I hope to follow in her footsteps, to go to UDM, although the texts, I understand, are in English, whereas in law, they are virtually all French.

Thank you.

haha I didn't get that it was a joke!! :P And yes, don't worry about it, your French will definitely improve!! And all the textbooks are available in English, and you're allowed to write your papers in English (although I don't think you'll be going the pre-med path anyway...there are no more papers after premed as far as I know!). Good luck in your interviews and hope to be your classmate next year at UdeM (class of 2014)! And don't stress about your French for the MEMFI. My best advice for the interviews is to be as calm and relaxed as possible, and everything will work out :)

haha I didn't get that it was a joke!! :P And yes, don't worry about it, your French will definitely improve!! And all the textbooks are available in English, and you're allowed to write your papers in English (although I don't think you'll be going the pre-med path anyway...there are no more papers after premed as far as I know!). Good luck in your interviews and hope to be your classmate next year at UdeM (class of 2014)! And don't stress about your French for the MEMFI. My best advice for the interviews is to be as calm and relaxed as possible, and everything will work out :)

Great advice and I will try my best to be your classmate! :P I intend to follow my sister's experience, she never once wrote an exam in English. And anyhow, medical language, Latin derivative, is a foreign language, neither English nor French, so all will be well. Yes, all my schooling was in French, until Cegep, but in school, all the kids spoke English, lol, during recess, lunch and after school, which I see now, was not advantageous. On the other hand, in EMS and a wellness centre, I have dealt with patients always in the language of their choice so that they are most comfortable. And one day,my Frenchshall be as good as your English, certainlky w/i 4 years! Thanks again. :)

Archived