Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance info

my sister got in on may 15 and her gpa was below 3.9..

also, i talked with someone who was in the admission comittee at u of ottawa back a few years ago and he told me that once u get the interview , the acceptances have nothing to do with GPAs. the admission is based on how u do during your interview as compared to other applicants.

cheers

my sister got in on may 15 and her gpa was below 3.9..

also, i talked with someone who was in the admission comittee at u of ottawa back a few years ago and he told me that once u get the interview , the acceptances have nothing to do with GPAs. the admission is based on how u do during your interview as compared to other applicants.

cheers

I believe they changed that last year or the year before (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I believe they changed that last year or the year before (IIRC, someone correct me if I'm wrong)

WARNING: This was VERY informal so please do not quote me on this at all/panic/take anything as even semi-official.

I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions during an information session asking how the marks/ranking was done post-interview. What he said was that they either are MOVING or have MOVED to a composite score of x% interview + y% GPA. I tried to ask him if this past cycle was affected, but I he was very rushed so I didn't really get a clear answer...except for the mention of a "composite" score.

Edit: information session was not during an official interview day, but during an information session hosted by one of the clubs on campus.

Hmmm...

The person who was giving the presentation said it was almost exclusively interview score (as opposed to the GPA)...

WARNING: This was VERY informal so please do not quote me on this at all/panic/take anything as even semi-official.

I talked to the Assistant Dean of Admissions during an information session asking how the marks/ranking was done post-interview. What he said was that they either are MOVING or have MOVED to a composite score of x% interview + y% GPA. I tried to ask him if this past cycle was affected, but I he was very rushed so I didn't really get a clear answer...except for the mention of a "composite" score.

Edit: information session was not during an official interview day, but during an information session hosted by one of the clubs on campus.

If this was true, how would they assess a person with a 3.85? That would be the lowest GPA post interview... Would they give him/her a 0 for the GPA section? :confused: Incorporating the GPA seems stupid to me... I mean, the GPA cut-off is high as it is... everyone is academically qualified.. no need differentiate the GPA further...

If this was true, how would they assess a person with a 3.85? That would be the lowest GPA post interview... Would they give him/her a 0 for the GPA section? :confused: Incorporating the GPA seems stupid to me... I mean, the GPA cut-off is high as it is... everyone is academically qualified... no need differentiate the GPA further...

Again, I have NO idea how they did/would do this. All I know was following discussion with the Asst. Dean of Admissions that's what I got...but it was a long/busy night so I fully admit what I heard is completely unreliable. As for the GPA-incorporation, most other medical schools weight GPA quite heavily, so maybe Ottawa wanted to incorporate GPA in there somehow?

PS. Panda Eyes >> you and I may have gone to different presentations because I don't think any of the presenters for the one I went to even mentioned interviews lol. They covered more admissions, GPA, what to expect in medical school stuff as far as I can recall. I asked the Asst. Dean of Admission about interviews after the presentation was over.

To be honest, I don't even know if the GPA incorporation is that favourable for me :( ... here's to waiting...

Again, I have NO idea how they did/would do this. All I know was following discussion with the Asst. Dean of Admissions that's what I got...but it was a long/busy night so I fully admit what I heard is completely unreliable. As for the GPA-incorporation, most other medical schools weight GPA quite heavily, so maybe Ottawa wanted to incorporate GPA in there somehow?

PS. Panda Eyes >> you and I may have gone to different presentations because I don't think any of the presenters for the one I went to even mentioned interviews lol. They covered more admissions, GPA, what to expect in medical school stuff as far as I can recall. I asked the Asst. Dean of Admission about interviews after the presentation was over.

At my info session, Chantal said that the acceptances would be based on a composite score of Interview and GPA, but she said she could not go into detail about what percentage of each counted towards admissions.

I thought last year (or maybe the year before), acceptances were given based on a composite score of 50% GPA and 50% interview score?

At my info session, Chantal said that the acceptances would be based on a composite score of Interview and GPA, but she said she could not go into detail about what percentage of each counted towards admissions.

I thought last year (or maybe the year before), acceptances were given based on a composite score of 50% GPA and 50% interview score?

When was your interview? Chantal told my group that it was almost exclusively interview. I'm wondering if they made any changes in their decisions overtime. I was one of the first few interviewees.

When was your interview? Chantal told my group that it was almost exclusively interview. I'm wondering if they made any changes in their decisions overtime. I was one of the first few interviewees.

Really? That's odd. That's really odd.

My interview was March 24

Not sure if this is old, or incorrect, or what, but my parents had printed me off this document from http://www.mmacanada.org (Muslim Med Assoc of Canada) and right on their synopsis of uOttawa, they say that the post interview score is graded based on 10% GPA and 90% interview. The document says 2008 however, and I've no idea where they got the info. I can't find it at a glance on their site, but perhaps that may be what they were talking about when they said GPA might factor into the equation.

Imo, makes a bit more sense. People with killer gpa's will get a bit of a boost despite a weaker interview score (although not much) but I haven't done (nor care to) do any math to figure out the details.

Not sure if this is old, or incorrect, or what, but my parents had printed me off this document from http://www.mmacanada.org (Muslim Med Assoc of Canada) and right on their synopsis of uOttawa, they say that the post interview score is graded based on 10% GPA and 90% interview. The document says 2008 however, and I've no idea where they got the info. I can't find it at a glance on their site, but perhaps that may be what they were talking about when they said GPA might factor into the equation.

Imo, makes a bit more sense. People with killer gpa's will get a bit of a boost despite a weaker interview score (although not much) but I haven't done (nor care to) do any math to figure out the details.

this is likely, since ottawa did an extensive file review (ec and grades) in order to send out the initial invites, I find it unlikely that all that work post interview becomes irrelevant

Ottawa has done several different things over the last few years.

Several years ago they had a composite of 90% interview 10% GPA...

They then went to the all interview, with gpa tiebreaker. (Both of these are according to posts on this site that were claimed to be confirmed by admissions.)

Last year, if you read MilSarah's posts, which she said she confirmed with Dr. Hebert, they went to a 50% Interview 50% GPA system but said it wasn't necessarily a permanent thing.

This year, they're being much more hush about it but I'll tell you what I've been told.

"Each year the executive admissions committee determine a composite score, it has not been determined yet and unfortunately this information is not published. What I can tell you is that the interview is the determining factor of receiving an offer of admission."

Take that for what you will, but by the sounds of it they're composing a composite with more weight on the interview this year.

As for how the a 3.85 gpa in considered in a composite system the idea last year was the gpa was like a mark out of 4... and the interview was a mark out of 4....

So at 50/50 you would just average the two out.... Which would add to the idea that the interview is the determining factor. GPA's can only range between 3.85-4.00 for most, Interviews seem to have a much larger range.

As for how the a 3.85 gpa in considered in a composite system the idea last year was the gpa was like a mark out of 4... and the interview was a mark out of 4....

So at 50/50 you would just average the two out.... Which would add to the idea that the interview is the determining factor. GPA's can only range between 3.85-4.00 for most, Interviews seem to have a much larger range.

Your posts seem much clearer and well-informed than mine :) Thanks for clearing that all up as I heard a number of different things that night regarding the weighting of interviews/composites scores and such -- all from the same person too! Haha. Either way, I guess we'll find out soon how the composite score will play out.

Good luck everyone!

Archived